• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just finished my USB and Gamepad front panel mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dios67

here is a site with pics of my work during the mod.

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~hidlebac/mod.html

click on the thumb nails for larger pics.

I was bored tonight, so i decided to finally do that usb and gameport mod that i've been talking about for like 3 months :).. It turned out ok. Its like 99% done. I need to do a little more cleaning up on my cuts for the gamepad and also i didn't have a screws for it... so i just used twisty ties to temperaly hold them in place :D

So what do you guys think.... I know its rough but this was actually my first time using a dremel. For every other mod i have done, I used a sabersaw and a hole cutter for a drill. Way i look at it is, you gots to start somewhere .....
So basically i used a dremil and a drill.... also i had to do some cuting of the metal in my case(that was a pain). The sparks were flying everywhere.... But its cool, back in my concrete pouring days, i used to use diamond tipped concrete saw to cut 2 inch steel reehbar... :eek:

but anyways.... its so much easier having this stuff in front... why didn't i do this along time ago....

htmlartist said:
That is sweet! What parts were required for the gameports?

i used your standard 1 to 2 gamepad spliter so you can hook up two gamepads to one gamepad port. I also had a firewire audigy which means my game port isn't on the back of the card, its need an internal expansion card, but if you have a gameport on the back of your pc, just fish the gameport spliter back into your pc and run it toward your free bays. then i just traces the gameport on a face place, used a dremil to cut it, and my drill to make my screw holes... Thats it

JazztrumpetJND said:
sweet mod. now u can plug stuff in right on the front. altho dont all those wires coming out of the frong make it look messy??

--jason

Not really. Anything permanent I keep plug in the back, such as my usb scanner, and my wireless optical mouse/keyboard. The front usb are for stuff I don’t keep plugged unless I am using them. Such as my uplink for my Nikon digital camera and my usb game pad. As for the game ports just like with my usb game pad… when its no in use I roll it up and keep it in a drawer. So it look no more messy than a normal pc. :D

i really like that usb mod. i was going to do the same thing with my case, but i had a little problem. i have a full tower, and the cables on the dongle arent long enough to reach my bays, hehe. so instead of soldering longer wires to it, i just bought a usb microsoft keyboard with 2 usb plugs built into it. so now when i want to plug in extra usb stuff (like my memory card reader) i just use the keyboard. when i done, back in the drawers with it. i have enough stuff in my bays as it is :D .

SpaceRangerJoe said:
i really like that usb mod. i was going to do the same thing with my case, but i had a little problem. i have a full tower, and the cables on the dongle arent long enough to reach my bays, hehe. so instead of soldering longer wires to it, i just bought a usb microsoft keyboard with 2 usb plugs built into it. so now when i want to plug in extra usb stuff (like my memory card reader) i just use the keyboard. when i done, back in the drawers with it. i have enough stuff in my bays as it is :D .

dude why are you posting durning the super bowl ?!? :)

... Wait why am i posting durning the super bowl :eek: ....

anyways big ups to my boy Mike Alstot, JJC high school player from my home town of Joliet IL, and an alum from my current College Purdue.... oh yeah friend of the family.... :)

He's the s**t

poo to the Superbowl. I fell asleep during the first half and didn't even watch the halftime show or the second half.

Dios67 said:

dude why are you posting durning the super bowl ?!? :)

... Wait why am i posting durning the super bowl :eek: ....

anyways big ups to my boy Mike Alstot, JJC high school player from my home town of Joliet IL, and an alum from my current College Purdue.... oh yeah friend of the family.... :)

He's the s**t

Joliet Central class of 96 here ;p

Nice idea but holy crap.. someone needs a lesson on how to cut on the lines! hehe sorry.. if you want to put a usb port on a piece of plastic heres what you do.. you remove both usb dongles from the metal bracket then bolt the metal bracket onto the plastic you want it to.. its a rough template but you can drill out the plastic through the holes and then take an exacto and square it out.. simply use the metal brackets as a stencil.. about as close to perfect as a modder can get. I got the idea a while ago when I was looking for a solution to add front usb ports to my case.

Back