• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got my SLKWU - Dud

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Railgunner

Registered
Ordered from pcsupplysource:

P4 3.0C SLKWU (12 cap)
L341B300
Pack date: 01/16/2004

3.45Ghz @ 1.6v (230 FSB). Anymore and XP won't boot up.

This sucks. At 3.45Ghz I'm underclocking my RAM (DDR368) and
I can't run my RAM (Mushin PC3500 L2) at 1:1 with 230FSB (DDR460).

My 2.4C was running it @ 3.125 (260 FSB) and DDR416.

So how does my 3.0C @ 3.45 compare to my 2.4C @ 3.125?

The 3.0C @ 3.45Ghz w/DDR368 2-2-2-6 gets 19,983 in 3Dmark2001se

The 2.4C @ 3.125Ghz w/DDR416 2-2-2-6 gets 19,650 in 3Dmark2001se

Oh well, I'll dump the 3.0C on EBAY and try again.

No problems with PCsuppysource. I'll order from them again.

P.S. Anyone want to sell me a 3.0C that will do 3.75Ghz on air
at 1.65v or less? I'm in the market for one.

Bummer bro.:( My Sl6wu is not doing what I expected either....240fsb, 3.6gig. Which just happens to be the same as my sl6wu from 6 months ago.:-/ I might try again later too.

Rail,
We are in the same boat, i got the same exact chip as you from PCSS on friday. Bummer, guess that last batch of chips they got are not what we are looking for.

for the record: im at [email protected] Not happy with the temps (cooling w/ Zalman Cu) Ordered a sp-94, but by the looks of it im not sure more cooling is really going to help much, we will see. btw: also tried [email protected] and wouldnt boot into Windows.

I'm sorry hear about your dud, I was hoping it was gonna be a good OC'er.

I'm really happy with the one SL6WK I've opened, I'm gonna open the second one this week and see if it'll do 4Ghz on air also.

I suppose I got a dud SL6WU as well. I'm running on a Shuttle SB75G2. It was good to my 2.4C in overclocking, and ran it fine all the way up to 250 FSB. Bad thing about this motherboard though, it won't do anything over 1.585 for the VCore. Not that that's a big deal, as I was hoping to get a good OC on default voltage because of the higher heat than a tower. I had my 2.4C @ 3.0 GHz with 1.575 VCore and I'm getting the same temps burning in this 3.0C at default temps.

Burning in because my first goes at overclocking it weren't very lucky. Booted into Windows at 3.5 GHz default voltage but crashed just after loading the desktop. If I remember correctly, even at that speed, at the 1.585 VCore it failed P95 within 10 seconds. Gonna give it another go tonight. I'll be happy if I hit 3.5 GHz with good temps. If that's a no go I'm gonna see about do a droop mod on it seeing as how the voltage would drop about .05 to .07 under load.

So I guess my SL6WU isn't that bad if I can run Windows stock vdimm at 240MHz. Yes, it doesn't run in a stable way, but I still have room to play with the voltage. I've also managed to run Windows at 254Mhz or so with 1.7v, but didn't try that for too long. I'm now burning in from the beginning. Currently at 230MHz stock voltage dual priming stable.

I think very few people actually got an outstanding SL6WU. The average is about 240MHz with the 30 caps version. Krag, yours also have 30 caps, right?

The strange thing is that when I run the Blend Prime95 test, I usually don't get any error but rather Windows XP just freezes after a while. Anyone has any idea why? Also Far Cry tends to freeze after awhile at 240MHz at stock voltage.

I've managed to single prime at 236MHz for 9 hours before the computer froze. Isn't that weird??? 9 hours and suddenly freezing? Any ideas?

My experience with the 3.0 P4C SL???? (too lazy to take HSF off & check) is prime stable @ 235 MHz FSB, 1.625v vcore. I actually got it to run Aquamark3 @ 250MHz, 1.725v vcore, but could not call it close to stable. In trying for 240 dual prime stable it ran for a long time but rebooted while I was gone and locked up on XP startup. Temps were an issue with the Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu, bumping 60 C @ 1.65v vcore. This past attempt was on Abit IC7-Max3, 512 MB Corsair XMS 3200LL 2-3-2-5 @ 5:4, Chieftec case w/6 fans (3 @ 4800 rpm), Thermaltake 420W power supply. In reading up on 3.0 P4C, 3.6 seem to be the prime stable limit for most of the chips out there using air or water cooling.

look for an ealier pack date one. i have a "U" wit pack date 1/31/04 and its running 3.9ghz at 1.7v watercooled. with air it was stable only up to 3.75ghz cause of the heat.

Oren said:
The strange thing is that when I run the Blend Prime95 test, I usually don't get any error but rather Windows XP just freezes after a while. Anyone has any idea why? Also Far Cry tends to freeze after awhile at 240MHz at stock voltage.

I've managed to single prime at 236MHz for 9 hours before the computer froze. Isn't that weird??? 9 hours and suddenly freezing? Any ideas?

Pretty much same results w/ Prime on my rig. @Default vcore (1.52 in BIOS, 1.488 actual) @230 fsb, it wil run Prime for hours w/o errors, then all of a sudden my whole machine locks up.

Like i stated earlier, im not real comfortable w/ my temps, i havent quite given up on the chip, just waiting for my SP-94 to get here beofre i try pushing it to far.

Fuz and Max seem to have some good luck w/ their 3.0's, if i was them i would go purchase a lottery ticket :cool:

Fuz and Max seem to have some good luck w/ their 3.0's, if i was them i would go purchase a lottery ticket

LoL, maybe so. I just got a real good batch of chips. I got another SL6WU running last night, and its sitting pretty at 3.82GHz on default vcore.

Of my 3 Sl6WUs I have and tested, and 1 SL6WK that's running now....all of them were able to run at least 250FSB on the default vcore, and all were stable at no less than 3.82GHz. One SL6WU runs 4.4GHz in the MachII, the other did 3.9GHz on air, and the new looks to be great; 2 more still in boxes. One SL6WK at 4GHz stable on air, with less than 1.6v; another still sitting in the box.

Fuzion said:

LoL, maybe so. I just got a real good batch of chips. I got another SL6WU running last night, and its sitting pretty at 3.82GHz on default vcore.

Of my 3 Sl6WUs I have and tested, and 1 SL6WK that's running now....all of them were able to run at least 250FSB on the default vcore, and all were stable at no less than 3.82GHz. One SL6WU runs 4.4GHz in the MachII, the other did 3.9GHz on air, and the new looks to be great; 2 more still in boxes. One SL6WK at 4GHz stable on air, with less than 1.6v; another still sitting in the box.

Seems to me to be more than luck. It might be connected to other system components you are using like mobo, memory etc. What I wanted to actually say: YOU LUCKY *******!!! ;) ;) ;)

Sorry about your OC Railgunner...it might be worth waiting on the new SL787 steppings (the ones that have low stock voltages) to appear in the retail channels than to roll the dice again for a good OCing "U" or "K".

Railgunner said:
Ordered from pcsupplysource:

P4 3.0C SLKWU (12 cap)
L341B300
Pack date: 01/16/2004

3.45Ghz @ 1.6v (230 FSB). Anymore and XP won't boot up.

This sucks. At 3.45Ghz I'm underclocking my RAM (DDR368) and
I can't run my RAM (Mushin PC3500 L2) at 1:1 with 230FSB (DDR460).

My 2.4C was running it @ 3.125 (260 FSB) and DDR416.

So how does my 3.0C @ 3.45 compare to my 2.4C @ 3.125?

The 3.0C @ 3.45Ghz w/DDR368 2-2-2-6 gets 19,983 in 3Dmark2001se

The 2.4C @ 3.125Ghz w/DDR416 2-2-2-6 gets 19,650 in 3Dmark2001se

Oh well, I'll dump the 3.0C on EBAY and try again.

No problems with PCsuppysource. I'll order from them again.

P.S. Anyone want to sell me a 3.0C that will do 3.75Ghz on air
at 1.65v or less? I'm in the market for one.

Have you ran 2 Prime95 instances to verify your 230MHz FSB overclock? My SL6WU isn't stable at a vcore of 2.6v when I try to run 2 instances of the big FFT test at 230MHz.

hey Fuzion

if you wouldn't mind, what are the FPO's and Pack dates of those.

musk

Re: hey Fuzion

musk said:
if you wouldn't mind, what are the FPO's and Pack dates of those.

musk

For which chip? I've got 7 total, only 2 in use right now, 1 is resting. My 4GHz air chip is the same FPO that you posted in your topic.

FuZIon, can you do us all a favor and post the FPO numbers to of your chips. It'll be greatly appreciated! ;)

I'm on my first SL6WK which is FPO: L349 and right now i can't even get her stable at 3.72Ghz @ 1.7v

My chip has the 30caps underneath just like the SL6WU so i know it's the right one.

Back