• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kaby Lake? Skylake? Coffee Lake?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Lots of things to think about. What about waterblock? Looks like decent options for the LGA-1151. If I were to consider the X-series (not likely at the moment), at least LGA-2066 has waterblock options (it uses the same mounting as the LGA-2011). I'm sure Cannonlake will have a new socket. Not sure how quickly a waterblock will hit the market once it's released.

I just bought a new vid card for my current machine. That was really the true weak link, so I should be good for a while if I want to wait. I was antsy to get the vid card, but with CPU, mobo, and RAM, I can afford to be more patient. Wifey gets my hand-me-down. Her desktop was a previous hand-me-down and it's in sad shape. But, she has a nice laptop (better than my laptop even), so no problem. Ok, I'm rambling. Short answer, I can wait for a while.

It's funny, but when I was gearing up for a major rebuild back in the winter of 2009-2010, once I researched Sandy Bridge, something clicked and I knew that was the one I wanted. This time? So far? Nothing. I don't feel that spark, so maybe that means I should keep my options open for a bit more. Let's look at my list of options, let's scratch off Ryzen (Intel guy) and Intel X-series processors (too pricey). That still leaves one immediate upgrade option, one slightly delayed upgrade option and one do nothing option.

Here's the revised list of possible actions:

1. Postpone building a new rig for a few more months and be a pioneer when the Cannonlake is released. Late winter project perhaps?

2. Purchase a Kaby Lake LGA 1151 (7700K) and be done with it (as suggested by wingman and others). Requires z170 or z270 chipset.

3. Get the new Skylake-X i7 7820X (8 cores) that uses the X299 chipset (I put this back option on the table just in case prices get slashed in the pending battle with AMD).

6. Crawl back into my cave for another year and see what happens later. *yawn*

I jumped on my Skylake from my Sandy Bridge just a month or two before Kaby Lake came out. Do I regret it? Nope. I enjoyed the new feature set on the board and increased ram (because I wasn't going to buy into old stuff when I wanted to upgrade). Did a nice overhaul on the system with the exclusion of my GPU (R9 290) and my Case (its old... need USB 3.0 ports on her) otherwise everything else is pretty new.

If you get a Kaby Lake, get the Z270 chipset. If you get a Sky Lake get the Z170 chipset. Don't mix the chipsets between generations as your loosing features of that CPU can support.

As for the updated list...
Don't crawl back in the bat cave... decide on something and jump with it if you truly want to upgrade. Otherwise it will drag out and then the next cool thing comes along, aaaand repeat cycle. I did it a few times and when I finally pulled the trigger it was great.

So I'd really suggest just pulling the trigger with Skylake / Kabelake or wait for Cannonlake really.

Back