• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Kickstarter and Game Development: Highlighting Games Coming to Linux Part 1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Only slightly on-topic, but how are Linux distros on drivers at this point? It has been years since I've used it (and my wife won't have it), but back in the day there wasn't real 3D on Linux because there were no drivers. If I put a 7970 on a Linux machine, can it run 3D gaming like Windows can? (3D meaning normal gaming - BF3, Diablo III, etc; not actual 3D.)

Nvidia drivers in linux are on par with Nvidia windows drivers. For as long as I know, dating back to the 9x.xx driver series Nvidia shares a common code base with all of their drivers. So minus the os specific parts, the goods are the same.

ATI has much better drivers now than back in the day. I've not used them so I can't comment on thier recent usability. The one thing ATI does have going for them is their continuing open source push. They have been playing cach up but with the 8xxx series the current plan is same day open source driver support. I'm pretty sure it's full support to, meaning 3d et al.

Intel's drivers have been great since they started. With their hardware finally starting to come around it looks to be good for mid range things.

The only downside to open source drivers is they are currently limited to 3/3.1 opengl. Intel is pushing hard to bring opengl complience up to current but they got so far behind it's got a lot of way to go. They did however go from 3 to 3.1 in only one development cycle.

Project Eternity came in just shy of $4 million. ($3,986,929)

However, I am told with paypal funding raised through their site, they surpassed the $4 million mark.

Congrats to Obsidian, now go make us a good game!

I wonder if committing to Linux/Mac means that the developers have locked
out the lucrative console market? An idea which doesn't bother me in the slightest -- particularly WRT Xflox and Microshaft.

Back