• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapping the FX 8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I lapped my 8320 down to copper on a precision stone and mated my 212 evo to it using the same stone.

Temps dropped... nothing at all. No changes, basically wasted my time.

TLDR: Not worth it for ambient cooling solutions.

TLDR: Not worth it for ambient cooling solutions.
For the record there are plenty of success stories for lapping. I think that statement is a bit too absolute.

People wouldn't do it if there wasn't typically positive results. That said, most people do it when their IHS is concave so they can get more surface area/contact patch. If your IHS wasn't concave then you do not normally see big results... which may be what happened to you. But there are plenty of success stories of lapping on ambient cooling. ;)

For the record there are plenty of success stories for lapping. I think that statement is a bit too absolute.

People wouldn't do it if there wasn't typically positive results. That said, most people do it when their IHS is concave so they can get more surface area/contact patch. If your IHS wasn't concave then you do not normally see big results... which may be what happened to you. But there are plenty of success stories of lapping on ambient cooling. ;)

Yeah you're probably right. The IHS WAS slightly concave though, as the copper started showing right in the middle first, then spread as I continued, but it wasn't a highly visible thing. I remember when Mr. Scott yelled at me for lapping the 212 haha, he wasn't a fan, but it got both peices concentric on the same stone, so it was the best way to do it.

edit: I haven't seen too many FX lappings myself, just was giving my experience with it a go.

Yeah you're probably right. The IHS WAS slightly concave though, as the copper started showing right in the middle first, then spread as I continued, but it wasn't a highly visible thing. I remember when Mr. Scott yelled at me for lapping the 212 haha, he wasn't a fan, but it got both peices concentric on the same stone, so it was the best way to do it.

edit: I haven't seen too many FX lappings myself, just was giving my experience with it a go.

If it started showing in the middle first, it was convex (high point in the middle), not concave (high points on the edges). The convex shape is there on purpose as the pressure of the heatsink mount presses it down. ;)

Last edited:
I noticed the topic of delid came up for this processor, I don't believe that will be possible to do as it is soldered on.

"wasn't a fan" of lapping the 212......or any direct heatpipe contact cooler. Only reason is the heatpipes are very thin, if you rupture one you can throw the cooler away.
At least you knew that going in and were careful. Most people aren't.

- - - Updated - - -

I noticed the topic of delid came up for this processor, I don't believe that will be possible to do as it is soldered on.

Possible, and done. Here's my 8320.

Attachments

• 8320.JPG
    8320.JPG
    851 KB · Views: 241
Wanna hit higher clocks? For cheap??

A bucket, some Ice water, 12$ fountain pump from HW store and some tubing. Colder water, Dry Ice.

I actually kind of want to do that, but I'm not trying to destroy/smoke anything either xD

Nothing smokes if you insulate socket etc. I know of at least 4 of us in this forum area that run that way or with radiator out in -20 weather. You want fast for benches...you have to go cold.

RGone...

Back