• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Last minute advice possibly?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GaldedRaw

Hey gents and silver pharaoh...

This is really gonna suck writing this on my phone haha. My tablet's (with keyboard) charger died a week ago and it is a specific type ugh. Anyway, I have about 8 days before I hit my flight window to head back to the states. Rather eager to jump in and start building my computer, but I guess that will have to wait till after I spend some qaulity time with the wif. I'll also likely be hammered and that generally doesn't go good with anything.

Between this forum and rog.asus stickies I have read up on a lot of build suggestions/methods and I will be building out of the case to test each piece individually. Still deciding on an OS but I believe I will go with W8.1. Just gonna take my time and have fun with it. Wanted to see if anyone have any inputs or suggestions to throw in. To give everyone the additional info of what I will be working with.

CPU: 4930K // Mobo: RIVBE // Cooler: CM 212 (temp) // GPU: 2x Gigabyte 780ti // RAM: 32GB G SKILLZ 2400 // Storage: SSD 240GB Kingston (I know...nands) and 3TB seagate // PSU: LEPA 1200 // Case: Corsair 900D // Misc: Normal disc thing, a fan controller, fans.

I am aware of the bios update required. Build is eventually going H2O, but thats another time. Anyway gonna head off to facebook and joke around with the wif. Appearently it is military spouse appreciation day. A great time to thank her for getting me out of the barracks bahaha. Also kind of sad I would rather stay up for 36 hrs straight then try to sleep for 6 hours lol. If :shock: If there are any post within the next hour I'll be able to get back to you all, other than that it maybe until tomorrow for some of you.

Hopefully everything... Mostly rendering programs like CAD and other programs that will help me out through college.

"Other things" like games? I want to take whatever courses you're taking :D

What screens are you using or will be using? The dual 780Tis are probably overkill for anything under a higher resolution triple monitor setup.

Is a triple monitor set up. Said other programs not things! Lol nah. Gonna be going for a B.S. in mechatronic (robotics) engineering. But of course games too! Hence everything :).

Hey GaldedRaw!
Thanks for the welcome mat :p

32Gb.. Quite a lot.
I'm wondering if 2400 Is worth it. Not sure if there is a huge difference in CAD programs when using 2400 say vs 1800 or something.
You mentioned college.. Any chance of using Virtual Machines when in college?

I can guarantee everyone will suggest the 840 EVO over the SSD you chose. (I couldn't care less if it was my choice TBH)

I'm a strong believer in Windows 7; I can't get used to Windows 8 or 8.1, but c627627 can help make it easy to use :)

Dual 780tis? Woah... You doing serious gaming too?
Might be able to get away with just 1.

Lets see what the other members say too first :)

Other than that, I like it! :drool:

Hopefully everything... Mostly rendering programs like CAD and other programs that will help me out through college.

Theres no under-graduate college program that requires high end rendering software, much less a "monster machine" such as this. Most of it feels more of a "because I can" thing, but don't expect it to be utilized in the manner you're describing.

Also, unless you're getting discharged soon, you will more than likely be doing your prerequisites as well as humanities classes. Also, you will need to get accepted to the engineering school before you start taking any real classes. The "real classes" utilize labs and other in school classes, nothing you would do at home.

I would reconsider your purposes and build a machine you would actually use to full extent vice throwing money into something you're not really going to use.

Edit: forgot to say the most important thing. Thank you for serving! I was in the navy for 6 years and went on to an engineering degree, if you have specific questions, feel free to send me a pm.

@Silver haha ya no problem. It was a joke as I had saw someone mention earlier that you are everywhere.

@Bob I have about a year left. I see where you are coming from. Unfortunately I won't be able to get any classes done. I know the school has their labs and such, I want to be able to do work at home also, practice makes perfect.

To all thanks for the concern and advise. All taken into consideration.

Woe,

1st kill the Lepa, buy something a bit better. Platimax, Seasonic, Corsair

2nd Agree, 32mbs of ram ? 16GBs will do

3rd that 212 is a nice budget cooler, but it will get hammered by the 6 core beast

4th Have not heard anything positive about the giga 780Ti's , get the Classy's and be done with it

5th Possibly reconsider the whole build. Being a student and probably will be on the go have you considered a stealth Devils Canyon
mITX build with a single card dual GPU solution and a top end 120.2 AIO
This could be a cool aproach. That z97 Maximus Impact looks sick :)

My son is a forth year engenering student, that 900 will be a total PITA to move back and forth when needed

He runs CAD, Solid Works and RevIt on his Thinkpad, can't remeber the Quatro I had them put in it when i had it built his first year ???
Not a very effective gaming card though but pushes all the sofware he uses

Anyway a few ideas to kick around in your head

best of luck with the build and college ........... :thup:

@silver haha ya no problem. It was a joke as I had saw someone mention earlier that you are everywhere.

@Bob I have about a year left. I see where you are coming from. Unfortunately I won't be able to get any classes done. I know the school has their labs and such, I want to be able to do work at home also, practice makes perfect.

To all thanks for the concern and advise. All taken into consideration.

The outdated and nonspecific programs you will use are simply scratching the surface of what you would actually be doing. Thats what internships are for. Doing work at home doesn't mean much, because a lot of those programs are licensed to the school. Those programs are not 50-60$, they are 500-600$ +++. Autocad alone is probably around 1000$ iirc. More to it than just "doing it at home". :rain: Really not trying to rain on your parade, but you;re really going about it the wrong way, and I'd like to see you not waste tons of money for no reason. Edit: fwiw, the software I use at work is proprietary to Entergy, and is not available anywhere. "practice" in college did not make perfect. Merely familiarization with interfaces and such.

edit 2: again, Im not saying "dont do this", Im saying "dont do it for this reason". If you want an over the top PC, man I'd be there with you to pick out parts haha.

@Witchdoctor I heard diff about the gigabytes, thanks for the heads up I'll do a Google search. The 212 is skimpy but temporary. Also I'm married and won't be living in the dorms/frat houses haha. I shouldn't be moving around too much.

@Bob many thanks for the insight. I could of added more details on what I wanted to do it. I feel like its making typical excuses as I explain hah. I didnt want it to be solely for college. I want it to do everything I do recreationally too. I take a lot of videos with my go pro during my motorcycle rides and trips. My current computer can barely edit my videos. It is something I would like to be able to do. Maybe I also want it over the top too. Gaming and all facets of overclocking and folding. Coming back from my second deployment I would like to gouge a little.

The practice idea came from how I work now. I wish I could properly run a simulator program like they do at my work. By trade I am a UAV operator. Before I deployed there wasnt enough training between 1 sim and 2 live (if at all) flights a day for 40+ different operators. Dry running a checklist only goes so far. Your right as that area I do not have real life experience in yet. I can only prepare or over prepare and plan plan plan.

Welcome, and thanks for your service!

I can completely sympathize with wanting a beast of a machine, but as others have pointed out, it's all for naught at this point. Personally, I'd make the following changes:

Cut back on your motherboard. That board will buy you absolutely nothing unless you're extreme overclocking (LN2).
Get a more highly regarded PSU, check the sticky in the PSU section for top recommended models.
I'd probably start with a single GPU, because by the time you need a second, there will be something newer, better, faster, and probably cheaper, on the market. If you do go with dual GPUs, make sure the PSU you select can handle them, and that you invest in some quality fans for airflow.
I'd probably spend the extra money on a better air cooler (even if only temporary) at this point, but that's just me. Resale value on the Noctuas is pretty high so you wouldn't be out much when upgrading to a loop.
As for the RAM, 32GB 2400 is overkill, but if I had the cash I'd get it anyway. :)

Make sure you pair this beast with several high quality displays, and a nice keyboard, mouse, headphones, speakers, chair, etc, for the full experience.

:)

@Bob many thanks for the insight. I could of added more details on what I wanted to do it. I feel like its making typical excuses as I explain hah. I didnt want it to be solely for college. I want it to do everything I do recreationally too. I take a lot of videos with my go pro during my motorcycle rides and trips. My current computer can barely edit my videos. It is something I would like to be able to do. Maybe I also want it over the top too. Gaming and all facets of overclocking and folding. Coming back from my second deployment I would like to gouge a little.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but its something I saw a lot of in the navy. Younger guys would come home on deployment, have a TON of money sitting around and they go spend it on frivolous things. I myself am guilty of that, and am simply trying to pass down prior experience to you. You DESERVE to get something you want, no one's denying that, but do you REALLY need a heptacore i7 with 32 gigs of ram to do what you need? Very much no.

Try something like this out (intel boys please input on mobo, I got yelled at last time :shock::D:chair:)

Some will say "wait for the new intels", but you don't want to wait :salute:. We do enough of that ;)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Hs4P
Design philosphy ->

- 4770k is a beast of a processor. Hyperthreading and tons of power to do pretty much whatever you want. You DONT get "3x's" the performance of a 4770k inside a 4960x for the cost (300$ vs ~1000$).

- intel mobo's are weird :p, so I will divulge that one to you.

-16gb of 2133 ram. 2133 is more compatible with more things than 2400, so I went that route. There will be no performance gains with going from 2133 to 2400, nor will you see any benefit from going from 16gb to 32gb. You can always add ram later if you need it as well.

- SSD 1 is for OS and some games. SSD2 is for video editing and rendering. 3tb HDD is for mass storage.

- 780ti windforce. Highly rated board. I would recommend starting with ONE then seeing where your performance needs are. Its more than likely a single 780ti will do you just fine lol. If you feel compelled to spend another thousand dollars, I simply ask you to be patient about it lol.

- H630 case. Its a large case, tons of cable management room, lots of hard drive mounts, lots of fan mounts. Case looks classy as hell too_Obviously a subjective thing at this point, but no one can say it doesnt look good :popcorn:

- 1000w modular power supply. YES, overkill on a single 780ti. However, its not over expensive, its a reliable 80+ unit that leaves you room to add another 780ti and other goodies.

Not including an OS, fans, a motherboard, and other periphs (PWM controller would be recommended), this is already a 2000$ build. Its already a beast, and will do anything barring 3d rendering and tessellations(stuff you're not doin lol). "more" is not always "more results"!

@witchdoctor I heard diff about the gigabytes, thanks for the heads up I'll do a Google search. The 212 is skimpy but temporary. Also I'm married and won't be living in the dorms/frat houses haha. I shouldn't be moving around too much.

In that case a 900D makes sense. Especially if water cooling is in your future. That case will accomidate it nicley. Know a few that were disapointed with the giga 780Ti's the Classy and Asus DCU offer more value IMO

As stated, just say no to the Lepa

That ROG is a nice board, you will love it, wish I could have afforded one when I built mine. The eVGA dark may be worth a peak

Only deal with these boards if you are going to absolutly pin that CPU to the wall. This is what they are designed for , As stated above, moderate overclocking can be achieved with a mid line decent quality board.

2400 mhz memory try to nail down some cas 9 stix if you can find them

Back