• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Last of Us Part 1: was Joel lying to Ellie?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

Spoiler alert:

So he tells Ellie there's dozens of people immune to cordyceps but they've stopped working on a cure, but is he lying to her? He certainly didn't tell her about how many people he killed to get her out of the hospital.

Depends on how you want to look at it, she isn't immune, but colonized with a different strain of cordyceps that fights off the invasion of the more common type that mutates everyone. The clues are scattered throughout the game, collectibles and recordings and such. There are bound to be more like her, but SUPPOSEDLY he killed everyone working on the cure, so... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Considering her reaction she might've suspected that was the case, but I don't think anyone said it specifically?

I noticed that in the epilogue.
We'll never really know if Joel was lying to Ellie or not because we never heard what he actually told the Ellie about the Fireflies.

Even though TLOU had its issues (but not perf. issues for me) it was a pretty good game, they did a really good job of telling their story. Will Sony ever release TLOU part 2 for PC?

https://screenrant.com/tlou-part-1-story-joel-ellie-firefly-lab/Joel's Lie In TLOU Part 1's Ending Was A Selfish Act Of Love

Towards the end of The Last of Us, it's revealed that in order to manufacture a vaccine for the Cordyceps brain infection, Ellie will have to undergo fatal brain surgery. After hearing this, in one of The Last of Us' most iconic story moments, Joel takes it upon himself to fight his way through the Fireflies' hospital, kill the doctor operating on Ellie, kill Marlene - the leader of the Fireflies and Ellie's former guardian - and leave with the unconscious Ellie. When Ellie regains consciousness, Joel claims that the Fireflies had already found others who were immune to the infection and determined that a cure was impossible. This brutal series of events are the culmination of Joel's growth throughout the game, and perfectly align with his gray morality.

From Ellie's point of view, dying to create a vaccine was maybe her only opportunity to make a real difference, and Joel robbed her of that. Not to mention, Joel killed a number of Fireflies on the way to Ellie, all of them genuinely trying to help humanity. Because of this, some view Joel as The Last of Us' villain, but many still consider Joel's actions to be justified. This is just as well, as Joel's story isn't meant to be black-and-white, and his choices are fittingly complex. In the end, it's impossible to know whether the Fireflies' plan would have even worked. Even if they could've created a cure, The Last of Us went to great lengths to illustrate how selfish and depraved many pockets of society had become, in addition to the country's effectively destroyed infrastructure. The Fireflies could very well have ended up killing Ellie with nothing to show for it. Either way, what is known for certain is that Joel took away Ellie's agency and worsened her survivor's guilt to fulfill his own desires.

:unsure: He was definitely lying, but he did it to save her, opposite of Marlene that had likely always known that Ellie was going to die to get the cure and was living with the weight of that decision every day of her life. In that regard, I consider her to be a stronger character than Joel. That said, I agree with he's decision, it's a matter of saving the ones you love vs losing them on the off chance you get a cure for everyone else that you don't really care about (possible exception to the brother who might have made the same choice). IMHO this is the pivotal part of the story, he already lost one daughter, he's not going to lose another. She might think ill of him after, but at least she'll be alive to do it, which is a sentiment most parents would agree with :(

They announced that they were going to port the entire trilogy, just hoping it's much better coded than this one :rain:

I really had no perf. problems w/the game, I didn't even see the outrageous system RAM usage others had reported, but maybe that's only because I have nearly as much VRAM as I do system RAM.

Back