• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lcd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

andyl33t

hi, im getting a 20 x 4 Character LCD Module with White LED Backlight and i need a wiring diagram to connect it to my printer port. I dont want any pot to adjust the contrast etc, just a simple guide for wiring a 20 x 4, all the guides i have found are for different sized lcds.
Thanks

it doesn't matter what size the lcd is, what matters if it's a parellel or serial port lcd. since you said printer port i would guess it's a parellel lcd, so a wiring diagram for that should do the trick

but is it the right one? it does say plug and
plug = male
socket = female

and also im gonna put a toggle switch on the red molex wire, how many amps should the switch need to handle? Can you find one on www.maplin.co.uk ?

Thanks

andyl33t said:
and also im gonna put a toggle switch on the red molex wire, how many amps should the switch need to handle?

Switch just to turn the LCD on/off ?
Read the specs for the LCD.
I have a 4x20 LCD sitting here and the datasheet states:
Back Light OFF- 10ma
Back Light ON - 100ma

Just about any, even the smallest, switches can handle 100ma.

*sorry if I misunderstood the purpose for this switch.

"Back Light ON - 100ma" so 100ma < 2amp, so yes the 2amp switch will work perfectly fine.

Last edited:
i was gonna put the switch on the red wire on the molex wires, so it will turn of 5v+

I understand the +5v, but what are you powering with those 5v, just the LCD, or are you going to have anything else controlled by this switch?
If nothing else any switch will do.

andyl33t said:
so even a 2amp switch is okay? it will just be powering an LCD
yes as i mentioned above ~100ma is all thats needed to power the LCD.
2amp > 100ma so yes a 2amp switch will be fine.

I made one of these LCD's before. What kind of backlight does your LCD have? If you have an EL backlight you'll need an inverter to make it light up, not just 5v DC.

/Had this problem.

Socket, how exactly is the backlight powered by the inverter? My current LCD screen has an EL backlight, and I have no idea where I would go about getting an inverter, or how I would power it.

Midnight Dream, where did you get the LCD display? It probably came with a manufacturer's data sheet, or if you know the model # of the LCD you might be able to find it online. The data sheet should tell you what kind of voltages are needed to power the LCD itself and the backlight.

crap, i blew the LCD :( i accidently connected 12v+ to it :(
ive bought another tho :)

Back