• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LGA1154... Battle wounds, missing pin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Looking to test my SB setup before heading to St Louis, I noticed when installing the CPU my MIVE socket was missing a pin. :-/ It was passed around the party pretty handily over the weekend, I never did run it at the party myself, but these things just happen... With so much going on at the parties, it seems pins manage to get bent/broken every year.

So anyways, dropped the CPU in, and watched the lights for CPU, DRAM, VGA, and Boot_Device... If you aren't familiar, those are onboard LEDs which light indicating which parts of the power on self test have passed.

CPU lit, and things moved onto DRAM without issues... Usually with CPU problems it hangs on the CPU light. What are my odds that the missing pin isn't important? I didn't have RAM or video hooked up, so this is all I know so far. Never had a bent or broken pin before, so I have no idea what to expect.

If it boots into Windows just fine, odds are good the pin wasn't important. If you can figure out exactly which pin it is or take a picture, I can look it up and see what it does.

I lost a pin at the party too on my 1156 board (now it's 1155, but it can't run SB! :(). However, it still works. I bent the pins back into place and missing pin seemed to have no effect. Before giving up, try the usual suspects (clear CMOS, unplug all non-essential devices, etc.). If that doesn't work, it's probably dead.

Nzaneb had some good advice as to how to bend them back into place, so he might know better. Hope this helps!

Matt

Nzaneb had some good advice as to how to bend them back into place, so he might know better. Hope this helps!

If I buy a motherboard with bent socket pins, I normally use an exacto knife or razor blades under something like this to bend them back into place. Some people use a pen and just make sure the tip is retracted, then put the opening of the pen over the pin and bend it straight too. I've found for me at least, that the pen is too fat and knocks the surrounding pins.

Razor blades here too.

I had no idea they were that fragile... Maybe its not the best idea to remove the mounting bracket and just use tape around the socket to hold the CPU in? Sounds like thats a recipe for destruction to me as its easy as heck to pull the CPU out...

That could be true Joe, I think most people go the eraser route. I'm getting everything packed now, but I'll get a picture out today or tomorrow. It's one of the pins in the first row on the inside edge of the socket.

You sure it's not just the pin left out from going from 1156 to 1155? I think the same socket was used except without one pin :shrug:

If the board even POST's, then the pin was unnecessary. If it's a COM pin, then you shoot up red flags all over the place. If it's a power pin, the cpu shouldn't be getting enough to POST. ;)

Thanks for the input guys.

I thought you did use it to run some 3d? Didn't you take it from me after dinner on saturday and run with it? Or was that a different board?:shrug:

I ended up switching it out for a different Asus board because Brett had an extra, to see if I could get higher bclk, because I hadn't had good experience on the MIVE... I did still use my GPU/CPU pot tho. I think thats how it went...

Chances are if it's a power pin, than it'll just pump a tad more power through the rest of the power pins. If it passes memtest and POST and all that fun stuff, it should be fine.

Your odds are decent that it's a power pin or a ground pin. Those you can lose a couple of without issues.
If it's a data pin or an IRQ pin you're hosed.
If it boots, you're good.

If you get the same performance increase as going from 1156-1155.... LOL JK

Thats one thing I don't like about the LGA775+ sockets, seems like it was easier fixing a bent or broken pin while they were on the cpu, rather than on the board.

These 'new' sockets with the pins on the board make it hard to tell if any are bent. Not only that trash can crawl under the pins for the naked eye to not see.

Last edited:
Board powers up, posts, but wasn't very stable in my five minute testing... Could be broked, or it could just not have enough pressure on the chip.

I don't have any heatsinks at the moment to mount it up properly, don't have the socket clamps on it, and not going to bother screwing the pot down on it to test at the moment.

Got a z68x-ud3h-b3 prepped, rolling the OS and app installs now. The MIVE will get further testing later, not going into the event tomorrow expecting to run it in questionable condition.

Could maybe stuff something under the tabs of the thing that flops down to hold the cpu in the socket if you think pressure might help.

Like shim it in there if you know what I mean.

Back