• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Limited choice of motherboards for 2500K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tejpis

I'm looking for a motherboard for the 2500K. As I live in Sweden, the regular recommendations from Newegg and such don't apply.

What I have to choose from, at a similar price is:

Asus MAXIMUS IV GENE-Z (Not Gen3)
Asus SABERTOOTH P67 B3
Asus P8Z68-V Gen3
Asus P8Z68-V PRO (Not Gen3)
Gigabyte GA-Z68P-DS3 (Cheaper, would make me afford a 60GB SSD)
MSI Z68A-GD55 Gen3

I'm somewhat interested in SSD caching but not at the expense of stability and "future proofing". Some overclocking will happen. CrossFire and SLI holds no interest to me. I have a USB soundcard.

Thanks for any input!

Tell us a bit more about your setup, which video card are you planning to run, what is the main purpose of the computer.

I can speak for the Asus P8Z68-V PRO which has a ton of overclocking options and playthings, it runs 24/7 folding like a champ.

The non pro version is similar and depending on price and your needs would be a good option.

I own the Maximus IV Gene-Z, and can vouch for it. I've had no issues with it, and so far (3 months) it's been great to me. Lots of gaming, on/off daily use, and even a bunch of overclocking.

Tell us a bit more about your setup, which video card are you planning to run, what is the main purpose of the computer.

I can speak for the Asus P8Z68-V PRO which has a ton of overclocking options and playthings, it runs 24/7 folding like a champ.

The non pro version is similar and depending on price and your needs would be a good option.

The non pro version just has two less SATA ports correct? That is all I found, because I went with the non pro version.

I'm in love with the Intel retail motherboards. Have you considered the "Burrage" (DP67BG)?

From those motherboards, if you have a USB DAC and don't care about SLi or Crossfire, I'd take the cheapest ASUS from those (that would be the PRO?).

I won't overclock anything without mosfet cooling, and the Gbyte one does not have that cooling. Almost for the same reason I don't take MSi. I've heard of a lot burning MOSFETs with MSi motherboards.

Back