• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

linux-64 on cell?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MARCI

Knowing you can install Linux on the ps3, will the 64 bit distros run on the cell? If so, then things get interesting. the 512 mb of memory is a bummer, so you'd need a slim distro. But 8 threads of folding goodness.

Knowing you can install Linux on the ps3, will the 64 bit distros run on the cell? If so, then things get interesting. the 512 mb of memory is a bummer, so you'd need a slim distro. But 8 threads of folding goodness.

No its gota be a PPC for the PS3. 64 bit is for x86 CPUs with 64 bit extensions.

EDIT: there is a folding client built into the PS3 though. Its probably more efficient than a Linux one.

the ps3 client is limited to 900 ppd.. . hardly comparable to a dual core machine folding 24/7. I was wondering about the possibility of folding a classic client in an alternative os, which gets work units that are not limited/benchmarked at 900ppd.

the ps3 client is limited to 900 ppd.. . hardly comparable to a dual core machine folding 24/7. I was wondering about the possibility of folding a classic client in an alternative os, which gets work units that are not limited/benchmarked at 900ppd.

Ah ok. well you'd be restricted to PPC linux. It should be an SMP kernel though, but don't know how many cores it will use. Haven't installed linux on my ps3 yet

There is no PowerPC SMP version of F@H (unless you count the official PS3 client). Also Linux on the PS3 is really only running on the single PPC core. Sure you can develop your own applications that use the SPEs but afaik none of the Linux distros use them for anything out of the box.

Ah ok. well you'd be restricted to PPC linux. It should be an SMP kernel though, but don't know how many cores it will use. Haven't installed linux on my ps3 yet

Doesn't matter, the PS3 has only one core @3.2ghz.
The SPEs are not cores and the software has to be totally rewritten to take advantage of them which none of the PS3 linux Distros (Ubuntu, YellowDog) do to my knowledge. However the downloadable PS3 client for the XMB does.

Back