• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

linux vs windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Roisen

I remember a while back that linux benchmarks were a lot less than windows on the same machines, but now that credit is no longer based on the benchmarks, does that mean than linux will be a better choice for a dedicated cruncher because of it's lesser amount of overhead?

Good question, I've also wondered but since I never have enough time to really sit down and play with a good Linux distro, I can't say. But one of these coming weekends I'm tempted to but Ubuntu back on and try it out, but there's no telling exactly when that might be.

Heck I would say just go for linux because it's cheaper. I mean $0 for linux vs 100 bucks for a windows license. I mean no contest even if you lose some PPD.

my typical super pi in windows is 17 seconds while in Linux it is low 14's :)

my thesis codes also run significantly faster in Linux

You can not compare windows super pi to linux super pi. They are different code. Different methods. I mean as much as I'd love to say use linux, I can't base it on two different test.

Linux has less overhead, and in FAH Linux seems to be a bit faster than windows in nearly all work units.

I perfer linux over windows any day of the week.

The computer I would be putting linux on already have windows 2000 on them, so it's more of whether theres enough difference to make the hassle worthwhile.

I'm not sure if it would be worth it if you can't find any optimized apps to run on the Linux client. The optimized apps definitely give a big speed increase with Seti.

Back