• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Liquid cooling Dual Xeons

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RADCOM

Registered
I am considering the following for a Dual Xeon 3.06Ghz system. Can anyone spot any flaws or advise me on improvements. I've heard that using two restrictive waterblocks isn't favourable.

2 x NexXxoS XP Bold (waterblocks)
1 x Cape Coolplex 25 externally (resevoir )
1 x Black ICE pro III (radiator)
Eheim 1250 (pump)
Fluid XP (instead of water

what size fittings? 1/2" would be most favorable, and so that way one xeon doesnt heat the other you can use a Y-splitter so they both get cool water from the pump and radiator.

honhon said:
what size fittings? 1/2" would be most favorable, and so that way one xeon doesnt heat the other you can use a Y-splitter so they both get cool water from the pump and radiator.
I hadn't decided on fitting size yet. So you're thinking parallel rather than serial? thanks for the advice. I am thinking about the swiftech 350 modded as an alternative pump.

Pretty sure the NexXxoS XP has a large pressure drop. Just like the G4/G5 the more flow the more it really shines. A 1250 wont be enough pumping power. Look at a mcp600 or better yet a mcp600 at 13.8v. Or maybe two in series :) or maybe an iwaki :D

Look at Cathar's pump article:

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=10825

Theres a graph there that shows how much GPM you will get with a certain pump on a cascade and a 120.2.

With two XPs you are going to have a very very large pressure drop. Id want atleast 1gpm, 1.5 would be nice :D Just depends on how much you want to spend on the pump.

Thanks for the advice m8. I have read that article several times and it's still " sinking in" ( happens when you get to my age :)) Pretty hard to get the swiftechs 600 here in the UK and impossible to get Iwaki. I've seen that the modded swiftech 350 is just as good. What about running waterblocks in parallel?

I ran an MCP600 with 2 6002-NXs which are great blocks, and not affected by flow much, if at all. I had great luck with those blocks, and I would recommend them to anyone.

RADCOM said:
Thanks for the advice m8. I have read that article several times and it's still " sinking in" ( happens when you get to my age :)) Pretty hard to get the swiftechs 600 here in the UK and impossible to get Iwaki. I've seen that the modded swiftech 350 is just as good. What about running waterblocks in parallel?

no parrallel. It would take tons of effort to get the flow equal for each block and even then performance drops. Search for parrallel loop and you'll find tons of threads with people determined to do it but shown why its a bad idea.

Two loops for each block would be ok if you had the room, two pumps, two rads etc. One large series loop would still probably be best. Much cleaner.

Thought you might be in the UK from the nexxxos block and Cape Coolplex choices =) Id rather have a G5 block from cathar if you wanna stretch the extra cash. The nexxxos arent that cheap right? just an idea

And Im surprised its hard to get an Iwaki in the uk? a couple of mcp350s will still be awesome, just as expensive though

Thanks for the heads up, serial it is then. The NexXxos blocks are pretty cheap about £30, thats a lot less than the G5. According to Pro cooling they appear to perform nearly as well too. I can get the two pumps and still pay less than the price of a G5. How would I connect the two pumps? Cheers for all your help chaps and chapettes :)

RADCOM said:
Thanks for the heads up, serial it is then. The NexXxos blocks are pretty cheap about £30, thats a lot less than the G5. According to Pro cooling they appear to perform nearly as well too. I can get the two pumps and still pay less than the price of a G5. How would I connect the two pumps? Cheers for all your help chaps and chapettes :)

Two mcp350s? It was discussed for awhile that putting the pumps in parrallel could yield good results. But Ive only heard of one guy actually trying it. He tried parrallel and series and got very little differences. Something like a 1c gain from series but was admitted that it could just be different ambient temps or sensor inaccuracy. Id try both and report back to us =)

I use to have a Dual Xeon water set up myself .. This was the specs.

2 x DangerDen TDX waterblock (Copper)
2 x MCP650
1 x BIX-3
6 x Panaflo "HIGH" 103 CFM
normal Tee.

this setup worked very good , if i can remeber correctly my Idle was 29 and Load was 35 or 36

This getting more complicated with the more information I get. I seem to be heading towards Alphacool cape coolplex 25 resevoir,Alpha-cool AP1500 centrifugal pump 12Volt or swiftech350(modded), 2 x NexXxos XP Bold waterblocks and a Black Ice Pro III radiator. Not sure about tubing but 8mm ID seems to be the order of the day. Where would I put the resevoir in this setup?

paralell is easy and works great for me

[
attachment.php

attachment.php

dual Xeons with a swifty kit till the 386 case mod is finnished

I know it isn't super accurat but aut to give you an idea (The reason for the higher temps is its summer right now n the sun hits the rad directly)

Attachments

• Untitled-TrueColor-01.jpg
    Untitled-TrueColor-01.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Back