• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Liquid metal to laptop, 7th Gen i5, solid results!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaPoets

I've been having overheating issues on my HP Envy 13t here. Today I took 30 minutes (yeah I blew right threw this) to open it up, clean out the gunk, the fans, and since I was in there removed the factory thermal grease and apply liquid metal to the CPU & heat-sink. On full load (100% usage) with no thermal throttling my temps have dropped 16°C and the fans are nearly inaudible. I would hit max temps of 90°C all the time and it would work at a snail's pace. Now my temps Max out at 74°C and I'm flying through my workday! Time well spent, back to work!

20190131_084127.jpg
20190131_083700.jpg
20190131_081919.jpg

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

20190131_082948.jpg
20190131_082937.jpg
20190131_103622.jpg

20190131_082933.jpg

Awesome!

The first line i read HP and overheating and i was like wellllllll not that surprised lol. I remember on the older ones having to take them apart and put a sliver of copper between the die and heatsink because they would overheat the gpu so bad you had to reflow them, not much fun.

edit: actually i forgot i had won an athlon x2 hp laptop with an nvidia gpu, it was pretty fast, but after about 20 minutes of any gaming it would overheat and everything would start stuttering really bad :(

Last edited:
What did you use the silicon modified conformal coating for? Where was the applied?

Did the original HSF use thermal pad or just thermal paste?

It is at least on the CPU. Look at the first pic, then scroll down and look at the other pic of the cleaned CPU. :)

Since it's a laptop that will be thrown around I added the silicon modified conformal coating to nearly the entire thing (except the chips obviously). Plus as you see on the copper heat sink that there is the black padding there so that would also help to reduce any liquid metal over time getting to places where it shouldn't. Not much LM was used to be honest so this was probably a bit overkill but it was annoying getting into this thing and I don't want to do it again anytime soon so better to be safe than sorry.

What did you use the silicon modified conformal coating for? Where was the applied?

Did the original HSF use thermal pad or just thermal paste?

It only had thermal paste that was very poorly applied as you can see from the pics. There were no pads at all actually.

Back