• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

List All modules that use BH-5 chips

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OSFP said:
Oh 1 more thjing, I noticed you said some kingston PC2700 has BH-5 Larva, does this mean it will go as far as the other BH-5 chips and its name is just misleading (PC2700) ? or it will me inferior for some reason?
A BH5 memory chip has no idea what number you paste on the module. Chips vary, but you could have just as big a difference between one 3500 rated module and the next as between it and the 2700.

OSFP said:

Generally I need this question answered : Are chips all that matter in a RAM module ?
To a great extent, yes. Those memory "manufacturers" (assemblers) that charge exhorbitant rates for their modules will sing loud and long about how important the PCB is, but this is mainly due to a need to find some justification for a steep markup. While the PCB does matter, it matters little compared to the chips the module carries and it really isn't that difficult to design a competent PCB for this application.

The HyperX 3000 and the 3200 non-A look the best to me. The Buffalo 3700 is good, better than any CH5 module. It does look to me like the HyperX's with BH5 are a touch better, but the difference is small. The best results I have seen on Abit boards has been with the HyperX3000.

I carefully pry up the end of a heatspreader on the side where the memory chip is closest to the edge using the rounded end of a fingernail clipper or a taped end of a slot screwdriver. I make sure it is not near any resistor and place the end horizontal between the PCB and one of the heatspreaders and rotate 90 degrees enough to slip an AT fan header in sideways (the red connectors on fans that plug into a motherboard). At a little more than TWICE that height, it will bend and put a crease in the aluminum side, so that is how much you have to play with. Shine a light in at an angle and it is enough to read anything on the chip. You can push aside any bit of rubber adhesive if it is in the way of a letter as it usually snaps back to it's original place anyway. Upon removing the little plastic fan connector the heatspreader snaps back tightly to it's original position. Of course I don't recommend this for obvious reasons, but it has always worked for me *heh*.

Where the hell can I find Kingston PC3000 , or Buffalo PC3700 in europe????

I want to buy one of those modules and cant find them....grrrr
I have searched in 3-4 english shops and noone got them...
Buffalo is an unheard word for them, and even though most of them got kingston, PC3000 is also unknown....they go from PC2700 to PC3200 ....

Can you give me any link from a UK shop or any other european shop that can ship these modules to the rest of europe (I live in Greece for example) ?

Lastly, if they say Kingston PC2700 CAS2 , is it BH5 ? or 2-3-2 (CH-5) is considered also CAS2 ? how can i tell if its BH5 or CH5 from the code of the RAM?

I would also like to know this as well OSFP!!

Damn, and i use to live in the states too :(

OSFP, I've done a search. And the best bets I found are casetech and tekheads .co.uk

neither have buffalo but both have adata and caseteach has kingston hyperx and geil.

let me know what u think of these sites, i haven't reely gone over prices yet...

Thank you all for trying to help me with the stores. Unfortunately I havent been able to find what I wanted. Buffalo resellers in europe only have the ADSL Routers buffalo makes and not memory :(

As for the Kingston PC3000 , I have found it in a couple of stores, but they charge it so much, that its not worth it...better go for the PC3200 that is sure to have BH-5 for just 15 more euros...
Unless I am able to find some buffalo PC3700, I'm gonna get the hyperx PC3200 (nonA)... which is a same, because for almost the same money I would get twice the ram in Buffalo....but thats the way it is in Europe...no Newegg here :((((

Thank you all again, and lets hope my local dealer will be able to get me some buffalo....or else I am stuck at 512 Ram...(no money for 1Gb in hyperX...)

Lastly, I forgot, is there some way to tell from the codes, if Hyperx PC2700 has BH-5 or not? because its my only real cheap alternative...

3200 non-A? You mean Kingston HyperX?

Here
The store formerly known as googlegear :D
Cheers

Edit: Didn't know if you were looking for 2x256 or 2x512 so I just gave ya the list.

Last edited:
Whats the diff between BH-5 and CH-5?? Are they some sort of stepping? Does one allow higher FSB than the other?

Thanks!

There's a long story behind Winbond switching from BH-5 to CH-5 chips, but to make it short, it was for cost-cutting reasons. And due to these cost cutting reasons, as well as a few others, the CH-5 chips simply do not overclock as well as the BH-5 variety.

More infomation can be had by spending 20 minutes+ on the Search function, if you need the details :)

So if I just trade out my XMS 3500 for some buffalo 3700 I will be getting more FSB because they use BH-5?

PS- it says the buffalo has CAS 3 on newegg.......isnt that really bad?

I dont know if buffalo PC3700 will be better than your XMS3500, but about the " it says the buffalo has CAS 3 on newegg.......isnt that really bad?" i could answer you...

Well, you got to remember that the stock speeds are considered to work rock stable and at only 2.5V ....so DDR466 which the buffalo offers at stock, and only 2.5V cant be done at Cas2...
now when you get this 2.5V and make it 2.9-3.2 , you are gonna see some cas2 at those speeds which is very nice...

So in other words just up the voltage and overclock it / lower the cas3 down to cas 2. Ok, sounds like a plan.

Back