• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a new case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bluefalcon13

Hey everyone. Looking to replace my rather aged antec 300 (first gen....) With a new case. Looking for something with options, good cooling, and potentially low noise.

Options that would be nice:
-window to see my purdy
-included fans are nice
-flexible drive options
-possibility to top-mount my h80
-don't mind aggressive styling, but as always, features trump appearance

Requirements:
-cutouts in tray for cable routing
-cutout for rear CPU socket
-ability to mount large fans to reduce noise if desired.
-under $100… the less the better
-(edit) for this... Looking to replace my H80 with that new Ninja cooler that was on the front page the other day... So it has to fit large coolers

I have been looking at mid towers, so far I am torn between the following:
-Antec Three Hundred Two
-CM HAF 912
-Enermax Ostrog GT

why does the Ostrog GT make the recommended list while the 912 does not?

Biggest difference I can see is the number of fans included. Am I missing something? I like the side window on the Ostrog GT and the included fans, but the HAF looks pretty nice as well.

You should be able to get a Corsair 450D or NZXT H440 on sale for ~$100.
It seems like an NZXT S340 would fit the bill also.

You should be able to get a Corsair 450D or NZXT H440 on sale for ~$100.
It seems like an NZXT S340 would fit the bill also.

Ooo didn't even know to look for that one.... Looks pretty nice... NZXT S340 Mid Tower Case CA-S340MB-GR Matte Black/Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T4BWUUY/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_jUUhwbJ8YHGP9

Think the h440 and the 450d are both outta my range at the moment.... But I like that S340 black and red. Also saw someone posted some pics with their AIO water cooler mounted up front.

The black and green looks awesome, but I'm not a Razer fan :p
I've had the pleasure of building in an S340 for a friend, definitely a nice case.

I am in love with it. I think I am gonna go the black red one... Just gonna wait to make sure my sale goes through without carrier issues :)

I am in love with it. I think I am gonna go the black red one... Just gonna wait to make sure my sale goes through without carrier issues :)

Awesome!!!
Be sure to post some pics when you get everything in it :)

why does the Ostrog GT make the recommended list while the 912 does?

There are only 3 reasons why a case may not be on our list.

1. It received a bad review from us or another trusted site.

2. If it just hit the market and there are no reviews available or discontinued prior to the recommended list.

3. The case has not been recommended by a member of OCF who actually owns/owned one.

The CM 912 is likely in the third catagory. FWIW I have seen very few if any negative reviews for Corsair or NZXT cases. Seems everyone that owns one loves it.

If you're still taking suggestions take a look at the Thermaltake Suppressor F51. It's listed for $115(windowless) and $119(windowed) at newegg right now but has everything you request and require plus it also has sound dampening foam inside.

I am actually cursing you. I am like this case so much I am looking at the x61 AIO 240 loop from nxzt and trying to figure out how I can afford it :p

The S340 is absolutely beautiful, and for the price, it's even better! If I didn't go with the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv, the S340 would be in my hands right now.

As for the X61, I've had good luck with it so far just running in Silent mode :)

If you're still taking suggestions take a look at the Thermaltake Suppressor F51. It's listed for $115(windowless) and $119(windowed) at newegg right now but has everything you request and require plus it also has sound dampening foam inside.

How does it compare to Fractal R5 though?

Thermaltake Suppressor F51 vs. Fractal Designs R5

r5-f51.JPG

Looking at the specs their very similar. Even the styling are very close. The F51 supports eATX while the R5 has 2 more 3.5"/2.5" drive bays plus the 2 behind the mobo. Otherwise they're very similar.

As far as build quality I would expect a high quality from both and both reviews reflect that.

EDIT: the F51 has a windowed option which is the reason I suggested to BlueFalcon to look at that one. Both fine cases, but I believe he wants to see his "Purdy" :)

Well I know they are similar, Thermaltake finds designs and rips them almost 1:1. Was just curious how it stacked up to what it was made after.

I think he already purchased the S340 though.

Thanks for the suggestions Blaylock. I am really liking the layout idea of not having drives in the main compartment (with the board and cooling system). I think I am totally sold on the S340, and looking to scrounge some cash for affording that x61 cooler. The suggestions are definitely welcome. It's always great to hear from people what they think, especially when they own one of the cases. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Well I know they are similar, Thermaltake finds designs and rips them almost 1:1. Was just curious how it stacked up to what it was made after.

I think he already purchased the S340 though.

I have not purchased yet... I just sold some stuff on the classifieds here, and my personal policy, is despite insuring everything I sell for its full value, I do not spend the money until the buyer reports undamaged receiving of the items I sold them. This way I can refund their money and deal with the claim without putting a financial burden on anyone. In this case, expected delivery is Saturday, and I should be ordering early next week.

Well I pulled the trigger. Referb (from NZXT direct, 1 yr warranty) white s340, one NZXT fz 140mm fan, one NZXT fz 120mm fan (gonna use those for exhaust), going to toss the H80 up front in a push config and use the other corsair fan as a case intake. Little down the road, either upgrade to an x61 280 AIO or the Ninja 4 and two more FZ fans.

Last edited:
Back