• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a new graphics card for my PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eaglepi

For many years now I've been using the same old MSI graphics card. I'm not a gamer so I don't really need a high-end graphics card however over the last few weeks I've noticed some flickering on my screens, I don't know if this is caused by my video card or my software for the card but I've decided I've used this old graphics card long enough.

What I'm looking for is a newer card that gives me to DVI outputs to my monitors, currently I use a DVI to HDMI cable to connect to the HDMI inputs on my monitors. I'd like the card that also has an HDMI output so I can run a HDMI cable directly from the card to an HDMI input on my large screen TV.

I've been looking at all the different cards and to be honest I don't know enough about graphics cards to pick the correct one. My only requirements is that it runs nVidia and it has three outputs that can connect to HDMI inputs. I'm not worried about all kinds of memory or how fast the card is because obviously I've been dealing with a very old graphics card and it hasn't affected me. I do realize the newer cards will have a lot more features than my old MSI card but I'm trying to stay as low cost as possible.

I'd appreciate any and all input, even though I'm not looking to overclock I always come to this forum because you guys and gals no the most about computer hardware.

Last edited:
What card are you running currently?

What is your intended usage of the system?

What is your budget?

What I'm looking for is a newer card that gives me to DVI outputs to my monitors, currently I use a DVI to HDMI cable to connect to the HDMI inputs on my monitors. I'd like the card that also has an HDMI output so I can run a HDMI cable directly from the card to an HDMI input on my large screen TV.

A lot of cheaper cards have 1 DVI, 1 HDMI and 1 DisplayPort these days. This Gigabyte GTX 1050 GV-N1050WF2OC-2GD has 3 HDMI ports, 1 DVI and 1 DisplayPort so it should do the trick without spending the dollars for a high-end card. If you really want/need a video card with 2 DVI ports, that is hard to find on a new card these days.

Yeah, I had to do multipass search:D
BTW, hdmi->dvi, vga->dvi, dvi->HDMI adapters are often included.

What card are you running currently?

What is your intended usage of the system?

What is your budget?

I have no budget but clearly as I stated in my post I don't want to pay for a lot of stuff that I really don't need. As I said in my OP the card I have right now does a good job for me with the exception I'm having problems with my screen flickering every once in a while questions a screen it's more my icons.

So knowing that I'd like to probably buy a new card all cards nowadays are going to have much more features than might original card which is listed in my signature.

My intended use is to supply feed to my two monitors currently listed in my signature and then have an HDMI output that I can run directly to HDTV

To push that many screens you'll need a 1gb card or more. Your current 256mb card isn't enough vram, that's why you're getting flickers. You can go with the one Taco posted up for $37 or for $10 more get this:

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GT-710-2...ements=p_n_feature_four_browse-bin:6066314011

2Gb of vram will take care of the flickering and run the 3 screens you have.

I've been using this card and these monitors for over 4 years and never had any flickering, also the card you suggested doesn't have the outputs I want.

Thanks for the suggestion though..

- - - Updated - - -

A lot of cheaper cards have 1 DVI, 1 HDMI and 1 DisplayPort these days. This Gigabyte GTX 1050 GV-N1050WF2OC-2GD has 3 HDMI ports, 1 DVI and 1 DisplayPort so it should do the trick without spending the dollars for a high-end card. If you really want/need a video card with 2 DVI ports, that is hard to find on a new card these days.

I like the card you suggested but it isn't avail to any of the dealers I'm use to dealing with. I like Amazon,Newegg or other large dealers. Just makes a lot eaeier if I run into any issues

Last edited:
This one should give the outputs you are looking for, it go with the one Dave suggested above to get 3 hdmi outputs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01A...rds=gt+730&dpPl=1&dpID=51Q3+3xu6gL&ref=plSrch

Thanks but if I am upgrading I'd like to go with a card powerful enough and that one isn't.

- - - Updated - - -

710 2gb that was suggested above from the same website, why pay $300 when you have something that will do the same job for $50 (unless you're planning to do some gaming as well ?) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074...ds=710+2gb&dpPl=1&dpID=51i+1-yNtAL&ref=plSrch

It's very simple, the card you suggest has 1 DVI,1 VGA and 1 HDMI those will output to 3 devices but with three different formats. I have said many times I want HDMI outputs ot 2 DVI and 1 HDMI. That is why I would pay the extra money rather than buy the card you suggested. I clearly stated what I wanted on the card, not sure why people are suggestiing card that don't have want I want on the card I will be buying??

Not really clear here, hence why i simply double-linked the one above. Would have been easier to type "i want a GPU with 2 HDMI" or "i want a GPU with 2 DVI and HDMI" :)

How about this one : GTX 1050 2gb - 3 HDMI, 1 DVI-D and 1 DP, $180 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...&linkId=f2f9fdb4c1e39dbcf66a0fa6dfb2d4b1&th=1

Last edited:
Not really clear here, hence why i simply double-linked the one above. Would have been easier to type "i want a GPU with 2 HDMI" or "i want a GPU with 2 DVI and HDMI" :)

How about this one : GTX 1050 2gb - 3 HDMI, 1 DVI-D and 1 DP, $180 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...&linkId=f2f9fdb4c1e39dbcf66a0fa6dfb2d4b1&th=1

I believe that is the same one Dave mentioned up in post #5 and I alluded to in my last post.

Thanks but if I am upgrading I'd like to go with a card powerful enough and that one isn't.

Powerful enough for what? I was under the assumption that you where not gaming and just looking for something to generate an image from normal desktop browsing on up to 3 monitors. If you have a specific usage in mind that takes something more powerful. That information will help.

Output problem solved. https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Swi...id=1523132445&sr=8-3&keywords=3+port+HDMI+hub

The reason your current card no longer handles three monitors is "The times they are a changin'". It's the same reason my old P4 Dell with 512 MB of RAM and a 60 GB HDD is no longer viable. ISPs can (and do) send huge amounts of data now, and software has evolved with the increased throughput and hardware improvements. You've had a good run with that card on 3 displays, and I'm surprised it took this long for it to fall behind.

Output problem solved. https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Swi...id=1523132445&sr=8-3&keywords=3+port+HDMI+hub

The reason your current card no longer handles three monitors is "The times they are a changin'". It's the same reason my old P4 Dell with 512 MB of RAM and a 60 GB HDD is no longer viable. ISPs can (and do) send huge amounts of data now, and software has evolved with the increased throughput and hardware improvements. You've had a good run with that card on 3 displays, and I'm surprised it took this long for it to fall behind.

I think many of you don't read the whole thread and comment on the last reply they happen to read.

Dave suggested the same card I bought but his link didn't work so I couldn't see the card, had I was able to se the link I would have said that looks like a card I would like. So Dave if you suggested this card https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KQUDE2Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then I say thanks for your suggestion, I did buy the card.

Last edited:
Back