• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for a new slot one mobo!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joe G.

Registered
Leaning toward the Asus P3V4X, looking for opinions and suggestions, THANKS

Nice board indeed

I think in the strength of things that this is the best slot one board out there besides the Abit BE6-2 .

However, I would state that this board is not without it's problems and can be quirky to say the least (Via 694x chipsets need great persuasion to do what they are meant to).

The BE6-2 is a good board, especialy now you can pick it up with an ATA 100 controller on board; it does suffer however from the inability to re-divise the AGP Bus Speed and the inability to offset the speed of the SDRAM clock from the FSB.

So to speak - with a Via board you have the Potential to run memory slower than the FSB or faster than the FSB and if you have a problematoic AGP Card - it's problems should be sorted with the AGP division of the 694x.

I think that the P3V4X is the way to go.

Nice board indeed

wild_andy_c (Dec 18, 2000 01:07 a.m.):
I think in the strength of things that this is the best slot one board out there besides the Abit BE6-2 .

However, I would state that this board is not without it's problems and can be quirky to say the least (Via 694x chipsets need great persuasion to do what they are meant to).

The BE6-2 is a good board, especialy now you can pick it up with an ATA 100 controller on board; it does suffer however from the inability to re-divise the AGP Bus Speed and the inability to offset the speed of the SDRAM clock from the FSB.

So to speak - with a Via board you have the Potential to run memory slower than the FSB or faster than the FSB and if you have a problematoic AGP Card - it's problems should be sorted with the AGP division of the 694x.

I think that the P3V4X is the way to go.

p3v4x limited me a bit. i couldn't get one stable over 140fsb. went be6II and went to 153 fsb solid as a rock. although if i were starting now, i would go with an sh6 board

Only go VIA if you've got an old AGP card that can't cut it at higher AGP clock rates. Otherwise, go BX since it's faster and more compatible. If you want the latest features, ATA100 and IDE RAID, consider the Soyo SY-6BA+100. IMO, Soyo boards are better made and more stable than Abit boards. I've got a PIII 700 @ 994 MHz on a Soyo SY-6BA+IV. My GeForce DDR card is running at 95 MHz with no problems. It's been running at over 90 MHz since June while overclocked at 160/350. The Soyo SY-6BA+100 goes for $99.

Back