• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for a xp1700+ mobo for budget system...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

o0OBruceLeeO0o

I am building a comp for a friend, his budget is around 500ish$ Heres what hes got so far...

ANTEC PERFORMANCE II BLACK ATX MINI TOWER CASE w/ Antec 350W POWER SUPPLY - RETAIL $79.99

MSI CD-ROM 52X Black CDROM Drive OEM $16.99

Thermaltake VOLCANO 5. Heatsink + Ballbearing Fan Model Retail $4.50

BLACK PANASONIC 1.44 MB DENSITY FLOPPY DISK DRIVE - OEM, DRIVE ONLY $8.00

WD WESTERN DIGITAL EIDE HARD DRIVE 40GB 7200RPM -CAVIAR OEM, DRIVE ONLY $58.00

Logitech BLACK Optical Desktop - OEM $31.00

(2x)CRUCIAL MICRON 256MB 32x64 PC 2700 DDR RAM - OEM $81.98

Trendware/Trendnet 56k PCI Internal High Speed Data/Fax/Voice Modem Retail $9.00

Viewsonic E70B 17" - Retail $115.00

AMD Athlon XP 1700+ Thoroughbred /266 FSB Processor CPU 1700+/ 1.47GHz -OEM, $45.00

Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 1 - OEM Full Version $143.00

this all adds up to 592$ so I am much over budget lol. So if anyone has any ideas to make it cheaper please tell me. I would much like a mobo w/ onboard graphics, as he will only be using this PC to browse the interent. 100% NO gaming he says. Thanks...

I've heard good thigns about the Asus A7N266. I believe it's an NForce board, with onboard vid. Good reviews from everyone I've talked to.

Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 1 - OEM Full Version $143.00

Take off this will save you a bit of cash to get nice board like NF7-S v2.0.. This suggestion will work if you plan to using in your room only.. :D

Shop the refurb section at newegg for all of your stuff and that should save you enough to add a nice nforce2 mb and stay at what you are planning to spend now.

Hello All, I agree about ditching the XP Pro, there are cheaper alternatives that will forfill his requirements. Also you might consider the Raidmax 208B(black) case $31.00 delivered and the Fortron P300XFPN 300watt PSU for $32.00 delivered both from newegg. The Antec is very good however the Fortron is rated at 70% usage, actually puts out ~360watt max, has adjustable pots for tweaking your voltages, has 1 X 120mm silent fan. For an IGP MoBo I'd suggest either a Chaintech 7NIF2 mATX nForce2 with 4 channel C-Media sound for $89.00 delivered, an Epox 8RGA+ with dual VGA support and OCing options which will improve the on-board graphics for $99.00 delivered. I'm using the new Shuttle mATX MN31N which can be found for around $90.00 delivered and I've been very pleased with it. It has the IGP + MCP-T using the APU/ACL650E for sound, dual VGA, Firewire support & LAN. The rest of your list looks pretty good to me. Another case option might be a used case from a local computer shop, I know some of my local stores have computers that people have traded in or were dead and left with the dealers, quite a few are mATX form, make sure to use the Fortron or other suitable PSU though as most of these have pretty shoddy stock power supplies in them.
Regards, Balrog

And why spend $80.00 bux on a case?? A 30 or 40 dollar case will browse the internet just fine.....lol

Lvcoyote

the case includes a PSU. And I am buying the Case at a local store so I dont pay shipping.... I think I am going to get XP Home, and a nf7-m. Maybe get a more budget keyboard/mouse too... Thanks for your replies!

Back