• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for advice on a new build - high performance rig [gaming, coding, UK]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok there are two takes on it .

Ryzen "Might" be better when more programs and game use the threads . When that will happen I don't know ( we have been hearing that story for years and years it has taken till now for the quad cores to be needed in gaming ) . Ryzen does production work very well ( as these programs tend to support multi core better than games do ) for the price in this area it cant really be beat . This only matters if you use CPU based encoding programs , if you use a program that supports CUDA gpu's the GPU encoding is 3x faster than using the CPU ( so I would never use CPU encoding if I could help it ) . Over all most peoples hopes are that ryzens 8/16 core count will age better than Intels 4/4 or 4/8 . I my self have no problems running a plex server feeding two devices having way to many tabs open in chrome ( a few youtube vids ) and playing bf 1 on a 4/4 cpu .

For Gaming the 7700k still beats ryzen in pretty much every game ( and is no whimpy cpu ) they also have higher mem clocks and overclocks then ryzens reach .

What are you upgrading from ?
If it is something halfway recent you should temper how much of a "Upgrade" anything is going to be . a 2600k stands up still very well vs ryzen / Kabby

What are you upgrading from ?

My old rig was a Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz (Bloomfield) with an Asus X58 Sabertooth TUF and DDR3 RAM, although either the mobo or the CPU is defective on it... so I'm bound to see huge improvement anyway. But still, this is going to be my main workhorse PC and I can't see myself building another for several years, so it's an important decision :)

this is going to be my main workhorse PC and I can't see myself building another for several years, so it's an important decision

I know that feeling, intimately. On the plus side you probably can't build a bad rig even if you tried with the parts available today. From what I've read I don't expect much IPC increase for 2/3 years, if then. So some research and careful planning (which you seem to be on top of) will result in a rig that will give you long and happy service.

Latest build, I think 1700 might be the way to go:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor (£275.94 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15S 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler (£69.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus - CROSSHAIR VI HERO ATX AM4 Motherboard (£214.04 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£285.90 @ More Computers)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£279.98 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card (Purchased For £0.00)
Case: be quiet! - Dark Base 900 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case (£156.00 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For £0.00)
Total: £1281.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-24 16:12 BST+0100

I've switched out the mobo and cpu for Ryzen ones (this mobo in particular seems to have no issues with linux that I can find, a couple of the Gigabyte/MSI ones did). I've also switched to G.skill 3200 RAM.

Last edited:
If you are not going to oc to the max you could use a 100$ Mb (b350) vs the $200 C6 but it really is the best mb for ryzen right now .

Back