• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JandTaco

Registered
As you can probably tell from my profile, I am a noob.
I need help with what I should get for my computer to watercool it properly.
My Computer is a
CASE - COOLERMASTER HAF 932
CPU - AMD FX 9370 4.4GHz 8 core
GRAPHICS CARD - GTX 770

I want to cool both of those and was wondering how to do it best and any recommendations on parts I could get.

I could probably spend anywhere around 500, I'm not really sure how much it takes...

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I could fit a 120.3 and a 120.1 at the least. The case has a space on the top that has enough room for the 120.3 and then the back panel has space for a 120.1 also.

I'm also just wondering how I would set this system up... do I use a 120.1 for the CPU and then the 120.3 for the GPU in separate loops or what?

120.1 is a bit on the "small" side for the FX
120.2 would be better
so 120.2 for CPU & 120.3 for GPU(s) woudl allow for dual loops

However, it is MUCH easier (and probably better looking) to just go for ONE single loop. :)

This is going to be my obligatory "go read our stickies three times through" post.

Its very obvious that you have no clue what you need for, how to set up, or how to properly maintain a watercooling loop.
The stickies in this section have a plethora of information about component selection, heat load calculation, setup/maintenance, and other random bits that you would never think of.

+1 To this answer OP, as for myself i did up to 6 months of reading and double checking, before i made a list to submit on this thread!! ;)

1, http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...view-triple-radiator-360-roundup-16-rads.html

2, http://martinsliquidlab.org/

You could read this and this about the subject of how things work together, at least it will give you a basic understanding!! The easy way is to purchase a good AIR COOLER first and try that out, that would be a much cheaper option than buying a kit or parts right now! :thup:

The 2 posts are considered to be some of the best to help you understand things about WATER COOLING PC PARTS! ;) :salute:

If by chance you still do not quite understand something then feel free to ask more questions at anytime. :welcome:

AJ.

This is going to be my obligatory "go read our stickies three times through" post.

Its very obvious that you have no clue what you need for, how to set up, or how to properly maintain a watercooling loop.
The stickies in this section have a plethora of information about component selection, heat load calculation, setup/maintenance, and other random bits that you would never think of.

I did read the stickies, and they were very informative. I just wanted to get a second, respondable opinion on the matter first.

I did read the stickies, and they were very informative. I just wanted to get a second, respondable opinion on the matter first.

Go ahead and list out your proposed loop.

I'll be glad to help with advice, but I'm not doing all the work of selecting all your components/fittings/tubing/etc.

Pump - Swiftech MCP655-B
Radiator - Hardware Labs Black-Ice SR-1 480 radiators (possibly a 360 instead)
Reservoir - Absolutely no clue, I was going to ask for specifics about the types.
CPU Block - EK Supreme HF
GPU Block - Any block made specifically for the 770
Tubing - Hoping to get some of the 1/2"
Fittings - Compression Fittings (Sounded like they had more pros from the beginners guide)

I also need some advice on flow meters, speed controllers, etc.
Not a link or anything, just some personal preferences or if I should use them.

Don't forget about fans, they're extremely important to a good WC setup.

Use http://www.coolingconfigurator.com/ to find a block for your GPU.

If you're doing compression, make sure to match the ID and OD of the tubing and the fittings.

Only thing besides what you listed that I would use is a fan controller so you can vary the pump and fan speeds.

Reservoir just needs to be before the pump, nothing fancy.
If its aesthetically pleasing to you, that's a bonus.

I would run 4.120 worth of radiator for your setup, so either a 480, 360+120, or 240+240. (you mentioned possibly a 360 instead, that's leaning toward the edge of not enough radiator)

Okay, thanks for your help man, I'm pretty sure I could run a 360 + 120 with my case ( I think 480 is too long for the top bit I was talking about).

So, about that reservoir before the pump thing, I just need to know how to hook this up properly if I'm using two radiators.

The only thing that matters about order in a single loop is that the reservoir outlet goes to the inlet of the pump.
The rest of the loop could care less what order its in.

You should be able to do a 360 in the top and a 120 in the rear pretty easily.

Okay, Thanks for your help once again. I really appreciate it and hope to get into water cooling pretty soon.

Not a problem!

Be sure to post pics before/during/after your build!

If you sacrifice a couple of the OD drive bays, you can add a 120.2 , maybe even a 120.3 to the front. So you could have 120.3 (top) + 120.2 (front)

As for "how to loop" ... check out a few builds: use "HAF 932 + watercooling" keywords in search ... picture is worth a 1000 :) And its not really rocket science
good luck + post your progress

I have the same case with a 9590, mosfet and 2 gpu's (280X), for your cpu and single gpu a 120.3 rad would be the minimum I would recommend. The 120.3 mounts at top with push or push/pull fan arrangement. This should give you a max DT of around 10C. Adding a second rad, either on the back or in place of the hhd trays would give you a better DT.

I would also recommend the Aquaero 6 Pro/XT for fan and cooling system control. It does have a higher initial cost but it's the best controller available. A low cost alternative would be the Aquaero 5LT, it does much the same without the LCD screen display, strictly software control. At one third the cost of the AQ6 it's a bargain.

Do you want a bay mounted reservoir or internal case tube res?

So, about that reservoir before the pump thing, I just need to know how to hook this up properly if I'm using two radiators.

The important part is res to pump so the pump has a uninterrupted supply of coolant. I run res-pumps-cpu-mosfet-flow meter-fliter-240 rad-gpu's-360 rad-res.

I would also recommend the Aquaero 6 Pro/XT for fan and cooling system control. It does have a higher initial cost but it's the best controller available. A low cost alternative would be the Aquaero 5LT, it does much the same without the LCD screen display, strictly software control. At one third the cost of the AQ6 it's a bargain.
Or something like a Sunbeam controller which is a fraction of the cost!

Back