• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for applications

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tiff2342

Registered
What are some applications for : (any reason why you recommend them?)

- data recovery
- disk cloning
- partition and disk management

For cloning, I use Acronis TrueImage. It's what I've used for years, allows you to backup files to a network drive. It's simple interface (same as Windows actually) is great. And it compresses 120GB of data into like 7GB. It's insanely good. Also it's capable of automatic archival (expensive for that feature though)

Partition Magic for disk partitioning. It's really quite good, found on the Ultimate Boot CD.

As for Data Recovery, not a lot you can do. It's kinda hard, I know there is some software out there, but it's not great for it. You have to go to a data recovery centre, and that can be expensive.

Stellar Phoenix for Data Recovery. It is expensive, but well worth it. It has recovered things I thought lost that even freebie data recovery programs didn't find.

However, if money is too expensive for you, then Recuva by Piriform will get about 98% of what Stellar Phoenix will find, for free. It isn't as good at putting together severely damaged files.

- data recovery -- R-Studio. If it can't get it nothing can. Recuva is for all intents practically worthless.
- disk cloning -- Terabyte Image. More stable than acronis and has a much better gui. Clonezilla is free, though I've never used it yet.
- partition and disk management -- acronis true image, paragon hd mgr pro, and any linux boot disc (using gparted). All have their singular advantages though using gparted from a boot disc may be the simplest to acquire.

Last edited:
I've heard Acronis is good for disk recovery/manegement/analysis and pretty much the whole 9 yards.

R-Studio seems good. never used or heard of it.

paragon is another good one too right?

However, if money is too expensive for you, then Recuva by Piriform will get about 98% of what Stellar Phoenix will find, for free
+1 and it's free.

I agree with Acronis for cloning. Their basic cloning software can be had for free.

GParted hasn't screwed anything up for me , easy enough to use-and it's free. (notice a trend?LOL)

whats the difference over the basic and paid for acronis?

Is GetDataBack a good data recovery tool?

Back