• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for Green Windows XP Start Menu button in 32-bit PNG

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member

Does anybody know which Windows XP dll they are in?

I have my Windows 8 booting in looking exactly like Windows 7 but instead of three normal, hot and pressed Windows 7 start menu buttons [they have to be 32-Bit png or bmp], I am looking for Windows XP green start button equivalents of Windows 7 start buttons like this:

Start Button Win7.png

And I am looking for three of these:

Attachments

• StartButtonXPGreen.png
    StartButtonXPGreen.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 3,589
Still looking for the trio but I figured out that...

the Windows XP Start Menu button .bmp's can be located by using Resource Hacker http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/
to open C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\Luna\luna.msstyles
on Windows XP.

then go to Resource Hacker Menu >
Bitmap > BLUE_STARTBUTTON_BMP > 1033
Bitmap > HOMESTEAD_STARTBUTTON_BMP > 1033
Bitmap > METALLIC_STARTBUTTON_BMP > 1033

and saving the three start buttons:
Resource Hacker > Action > Save [Bitmap : BLUE_STARTBUTTON_BMP : 1033]

View attachment Blue.bmp View attachment OliveGreen.bmp View attachment Silver.bmp

They have no word 'start' on them. It can be added by using white Frankilin Gothic Medium Italic font size 22pt.

Windows icon logo is located by opening file C:\Windows\explorer.exe in the same way, then going to
Bitmap > 143 > 1033 and saving it in the same way:
Action > Save [Bitmap : 143 : 1033]

The bitmap is 16 Million colors, 25 x 20 pixels: View attachment Logo.bmp

But I could not get that to work without its black background. I was thinking of maybe using a Windows 8 logo instead, anyone has a Win8 logo with clear background? Should probably make it different color to fit in.

Start Button WinXP in Win8.png

Of course, this is not pretty, and I'll probably end up designing something more classy, but the NOTION that they tried to take Start Menu away from us makes me want to use the classic Windows XP Start Button for a while in Windows 8.

Attachments

• Start Menu in my Windows 8.png
    Start Menu in my Windows 8.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 4,714
Last edited:
Back