• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LOOKING for opions on overclocking results of my PII 850

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rudpup

Registered
Iam using ABIT BX 6 REV 2 MB with the BXR_ QR bios I was able to get good results at 117 fbs At 1/4 pci by disablaling speed hold using BXR_MN , but that was it , Went to QR BIOS and boom 129 FSB AT 1/4 No problem this is on a BOXED SL4KH PIII 850 with a ALPHA P3125S cooler , I tried 133 FSB run fine a few times but then Started getting some (widows component load failed error s )on start up, such as MRTT & VCRT i think , does anyone know what causes this errors ?? Iam running 43C on CPU temp and 39C on vidio chip temp ( ATI RADON 32 MB DDR) , with termal senor taped between factory heatsink and Blue orbit fan attached to it, this temps are according to Hareware Doctor and running under a new win 98 install with no load test are they good temps ??, cananyone tell me where to get some good load testing utility's and bench mark tools such as (prime 95) ?? , I do have STEP PC 133 memory and a new IRM 7200 rpm deskstar 40Gig harddrive ty rudpup

You should be able to find stress and benchmarking programs here http://www.tweakfiles.com
995 MHz ain't bad. The average in the CPU database is 1023.
Is that 43C a load temp? If it's at Idle I'd say you need much better cooling.
Good Luck!

Endeavor (Jun 24, 2001 06:42 p.m.):
*OFFTOPIC A BIT*
i also have a radeon 32 ddr, how do u monitor the temp?

I taped a Radio Shack indoor/outdoor digital thermometer probe to the back of my Vodoo3 2000 card right behind the chip.

Endeavor (Jun 24, 2001 06:42 p.m.):
*OFFTOPIC A BIT*
i also have a radeon 32 ddr, how do u monitor the temp?

I taped the temp. senor probe from my MB between the HS and blue orbit cooling fan i put on it !

Slake (Jun 24, 2001 06:48 p.m.):
You should be able to find stress and benchmarking programs here http://www.tweakfiles.com
995 MHz ain't bad. The average in the CPU database is 1023.
Is that 43C a load temp? If it's at Idle I'd say you need much better cooling.
Good Luck!

HI, TY for web site ill Ck it out , actucally iam running 1096 Mgh 8.5 X 129 yes i think its pretty good if holds up to stress tests , yes 43C is just running windows but in mid day about 85F inside runs about 39C in evening about mid 70F indoors TY

Rudpup,

If I am understanding you that sensor is on the fan side of the heat sink? If so that's a no go since the fan will cool it. I think the sensor must be on the underside of the heatsink between the slotket as near to the cpu face as possible.

On my 750, I find load temps above 28 C cause Prime95 errors at 1035, so that 43 C sounds high. Get it down and you could get the 133 fsb, but 129 fsb is outstanding in any case. Higher would just be icing on the cake.

Congrats!

anvil

NIce Job!!!!!!!!!! admire your Effort!!! if its load temps u got right there i figure u could use a lil bit more cooling!!! But hat would just be an extra!!!!

PIII866@1008
384PC133
FSB154
Radeon 64DDR 225/205
30gb 7200 Rpm Maxtor
20gb 7200 Rpm Seagate

DOH, Sorry man I misread your first post. I thought 117 was the top FSB you were stable at. Re-read and see now that you do have a very good overclock. WTG! Better cooling may be the answer for those 4 more MHZ. Are you cooling the Northbridge?

Slake (Jun 25, 2001 12:48 a.m.):
DOH, Sorry man I misread your first post. I thought 117 was the top FSB you were stable at. Re-read and see now that you do have a very good overclock. WTG! Better cooling may be the answer for those 4 more MHZ. Are you cooling the Northbridge?[/quote

TY SLAKE , NOT SURE WHAT YO MEAN BY NORTHBRIDGE? iAM USING A ALPHA 3125 S HEATSINK WITH 2 6000 RPM FANS

Eurodj (Jun 25, 2001 12:35 a.m.):
NIce Job!!!!!!!!!! admire your Effort!!! if its load temps u got right there i figure u could use a lil bit more cooling!!! But hat would just be an extra!!!!

PIII866@1008
384PC133
FSB154
Radeon 64DDR 225/205
30gb 7200 Rpm Maxtor
20gb 7200 Rpm Seagate

TY appreicate to comments , iam Using ALPHA 3125S with 2 6000 rpm fans , asny suggestion what would be better ??

anvil (Jun 24, 2001 10:51 p.m.):
Rudpup,

If I am understanding you that sensor is on the fan side of the heat sink? If so that's a no go since the fan will cool it. I think the sensor must be on the underside of the heatsink between the slotket as near to the cpu face as possible.

On my 750, I find load temps above 28 C cause Prime95 errors at 1035, so that 43 C sounds high. Get it down and you could get the 133 fsb, but 129 fsb is outstanding in any case. Higher would just be icing on the cake.

Congrats!

anvil

Yes anvil, my senor is on fan side of heatsink , YES IT WOULD BE BETTER CLOSE TO CHIP BUT HEATSINK IS FACTRY INSTALLED STILL TRING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET IT IN THERE WITHOUT CHANCING HARM TO CHIP , ANY IDEALS ?? and 43C is what my cpu temp. on hardware dotor software is sencer is biult in to broad i think , not sure how accuate it is , ill try prime 95 , thanks for all the help anvil , your hint on QR bios was a real help I really appeciated it !!

sorry about caps keybroad on the blick !!
BTW anvil you ever need a job go to ABIT you sure know a heck of aalot more then there thec.'s do , lol I emailed them a few days ago before I got my PIII 850 and ask them what was fasts CPU I could use on ABIT BX^ R2 , they told me , us BIOS WN and I could go to PIII 600 , LOL little do they know LOL thanks

LoL sweet overclock! The northbriding is the chip on the motherboard that should either be right under the processor's heatsink, or the chip with the green thing on it. Try cooling that more, and your clock generator and you should be in for quite a kick. Nice overclock there. GOOD LUCK

Yes anvil, my senor is on fan side of heatsink , YES IT WOULD BE BETTER CLOSE TO CHIP BUT HEATSINK IS FACTRY INSTALLED STILL TRING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET IT IN THERE WITHOUT CHANCING HARM TO CHIP , ANY IDEALS ?? and 43C is what my cpu temp. on hardware dotor software is sencer is biult in to broad i think , not sure how accuate it is , ill try prime 95 , thanks for all the help anvil , your hint on QR bios was a real help I really appeciated it !!

sorry about caps keybroad on the blick !!
BTW anvil you ever need a job go to ABIT you sure know a heck of aalot more then there thec.'s do , lol I emailed them a few days ago before I got my PIII 850 and ask them what was fasts CPU I could use on ABIT BX^ R2 , they told me , us BIOS WN and I could go to PIII 600 , LOL little do they know LOL thanks

Ok. If you really want to do this let me just say from the start that its a pain in the backside to get off. You have to end up snapping the dam thing off. (Dont worry its not as bad as it sounds). First you have to remove the front plate. Once this is removed you need to snap the plastic clips that hold it in place. Now when this is done if you still have some prongs left in the holes you need to get your new heatsink and force it on the wrong way round. ie. have the heatsink on the opposite side of the CPU core. This should then pop the remaining pieces out. Now simply remove the heatsink and put it on the correct way round (You may want to remove the old compound that is on the core... BUT only do this if your confident enough and have the correct equipment). And there you have it.

PIII 450 @ 558 (124Mhz FSB/PCI 1/4)
Generic PIII 450 - 750 HSF
ABIT BE6 Mobo
256Mb 133mhz SDRAM
2.1Gb SeaGate ATA 33 :(
8.4Gb SeaGate ATA 33 :(
Creative GeForce 2 GTS with Blue Orb
Creative AWE 64 Value

Back