• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for some advice on a new graphics setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimijames

So i was thinking about getting a couple of those new nvdia gtx 980's and was talking with a friend about that particular card. i was thinking about getting 2 cards and putting them in sli and he was saying that if i did the gpu wouldnt recognize and utilize the memory on both cards. Is this true? Should i wait until nvida realses a dual card version of their latest gpu? Or can anyone point me to some articles on the subject. any thoughts or info on the matter would be greatly apreciated as i cant decided on getting 2 gtx 980's or just waiting until nvida releases their next dual card version whatever that may be. thx for the help much aprecaited!!
o and on a sidenote i was considering getting one of those 5k monitors from dell so i can use the extra horsepower from a dual gpu/sli setup. thx agian!!

He would be correct, it does not double down on the memory.

The scaling is really good with SLI on the 980's and coupled with the low TDP makes these cards ideal candidates to double up on.

Not a great fan of dual GPU's so I can not recommend waiting for that. However there is going to be a stronger card featuring this core, so if you are going to wait, wait for that.

For the time being the 980 in SLI will basically destroy anything currently available

good luck

thx for the info, ill just wait then. do dual card gpus take advantage of all the memory on them? and just curious why i wouldnt want to use one of these thx again

Dual GPUs ona single PCB work the same as 2 separate GPUs working together. You do not double up the capacity.

Im wondering why all the horsepower? You play at 4K/3x 1080p monitors/have abnomrally high I must haz 100 FPS standards?

have abnormally high i must haz 100fps standards is the main reason :D but on the other hand im currently gamming on a 2560x1600 monitor and in games im usually avering between 35 to 45fps on a 7970ghz edition card (currently only using 1 gpu) and i just dont like those fps. im considering upgrading to one of those 5k dells in the future as well

Heh... well...

1. 7970 is a bit long in the tooth for 2560x1440/1600. I run a 780ti and it pounds through everything at that res at full tilt.
2. 4K monitors.. not 5K... then you would want two monster GPUs with a lot of vram (295x2 or 2 290x) or a 2 980's.

Just say no to 5K

4k is really good, for a stop gap you could always grab another 7970 to hold you over, have seen them for around $ 200.00

LOL 5k... 4K isn't even CLOSE to being mature and there is 5K? Oye.. Don't worry about that with this purchase is my take...

o and trying to get my pc ready for dragon age 3, that game looks downright gorgeous

LOL 5k... 4K isn't even CLOSE to being mature and there is 5K? Oye.. Don't worry about that with this purchase is my take...

oki doki:thup: will do!

is it worth going from the current resolution i have right know to a 4k monitor or should i just stay with what i got (dell ultraharp 3011t 30 incher)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just say no to 5K

4k is really good, for a stop gap you could always grab another 7970 to hold you over, have seen them for around $ 200.00

I bet you could find one for $100 if you really looked ;) I saw a non-ref 290 for $230 the other day. I love what nvidia's done to the pricing landscape. Makes this game so much more fun :)

is it worth going from the current resolution i have right know to a 4k monitor or should i just stay with what i got (dell ultraharp 3011t 30 incher)

I'd wait on 4k personally. Do they even have displays capable of refresh rates greater than 30Hz?

I like the Asus 4k solution personally

ASUS PQ321Q Black 31.5" 8ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor 4K 350 cd/m2 Built-in Speakers height adjustable
would that be the asus monitor you are refering too?

I think he was talking about something a bit cheaper and 4K from them, LOL.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ZB4Ux1j1_nw8hB0gwjjSVlXvzZ6A5wb1M5BoCCrzw_wcB

I love what nvidia's done to the pricing landscape.
Who? NVIDIA cards are more expensive than their AMD performance counterparts (i.e 780/290 780ti/290x). Or they were. Now they are the same price. Previously however NVIDIA's pricing was way higher (after the artifically inflated mining price went down).

Also, please EDIT your posts instead of double and triple posting please... :)

Last edited:
Who? NVIDIA cards are more expensive than their AMD performance counterparts (i.e 780/290 780ti/290x). Or they were. Now they are the same price. Previously however NVIDIA's pricing was way higher (after the artifically inflated mining price went down).

??? I'm confused. I wasn't being sarcastic (I really do like that Nvidia, who is typically not the bang-for-your-buck company, is mixing things up). I was referring to the 970, in particular. It's on par with the 290X, performance-wise and is priced $200 less.

??? I'm confused. I wasn't being sarcastic (I really do like that Nvidia, who is typically not the bang-for-your-buck company, is mixing things up). I was referring to the 970, in particular. It's on par with the 290X, performance-wise and is priced $200 less.
Sorry, I see you meant the past few days since the release of a brand spanking new generation. Not what happened with the entire last generation or two/three.

I put 'what NVIDIA has done to the pricing landscape' to look back more than a few days since the 970/980 release. :)

It's definitely "out of character" for them, though I am not complaining. :)

I just saw a non-ref (XFX DD) 290 for sale (used) for $215 shipped!!! That's, honestly, an even better value than the 970 GTX.

He would be correct, it does not double down on the memory.

The scaling is really good with SLI on the 980's and coupled with the low TDP makes these cards ideal candidates to double up on.

Not a great fan of dual GPU's so I can not recommend waiting for that. However there is going to be a stronger card featuring this core, so if you are going to wait, wait for that.

For the time being the 980 in SLI will basically destroy anything currently available

good luck
hey witchdoctor can you expound on the card that is going to feature the stronger core, i may just wait for that one thx again

Back