• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for some suggestions for a new PC build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dyllan

First off ill start with saying that I am on a pretty low budget, probably less than $1000 CAD and at this budget I can expect to probably get either the core parts of a pc without a graphics card (meaning I have to continue using the one in my signature or only getting a new graphics card and continuing to use the rest of the other parts in my signature). With that being said, I mainly play games at 1080p, I do have a 144hz monitor that I only try to use at that level for CS:GO, other than in that game, it doesnt matter to me at all. Im looking between both new Intel Coffee Lake and AMD Ryzen builds. To save money, I can use my PSU (I actually want to know if you guys think this is a good idea or not, but ill put it in the budget for a new one regardless) in my current computer for either of these builds and I intend to use my SSD for either as well.

Ryzen Build

Intel Build

Another point to add would be that (at least in Canada and around where I live in Ontario) its expected that I wont be able to get my hands on any of the new Coffee Lake CPU's until early December.

With all of that being said, what do you guys think would be the best bang for my buck, also as I mentioned, just getting a new 1070, 1070 TI or even a 1080 and sticking with my current set up is also an option but I will mention that years ago when I bought this CPU, I must have lost the silicon lottery on an absurd level because I cant get my CPU past 3.8 to save my life.

Consider upgrading to a new GPU before upgrading the rest, your CPU is less likely to bottleneck the system rather then your GPU. With 8 Gb you should manage most games decently however 16 Gb is adviced but with the current DDR4 prices I would wait a few months and see what happens since samsung is rumoredto increase its dddr4 production.
for 1080p 144 Hz a 1060 GTX should be more then enough for most games, however if you wish to squeze in a little extra performance get a 1080 GTX since the price gap between the 1070TI and the 1080TI is just to small to justify buying a 1070TI over a 1080 GTX (especially if you don't OC)
your current PSU is fine and you dont need to replace it (its at most 4 years old now)
if you wish to upgrade your CPU/mobo/memory the choice between intel and AMD is a hard one with the new Coffee lake, but the Ryzen still offers a better price/performance over intel imo.

Last edited:
Your existing PSU is fine so you can remove that from the builds. Can you not re-use the case or just want a new one? Also remember if you build an entirely new system, its easier to resell or reuse your old system if its complete and running.

the 4670k is 3.4 with 3.8 turbo. Its not silicon lottery holding from going past 3.8, there has to be something not configured correctly. I would want that chip doing 4.0 at least if not 4.2 as its normal everyday speed. If you haven't checked for bios update in a while check it. Then find a OC guide for your MB. Its likely something pretty simple, start off with a good bit of juice and work your way down.

So if you keep that system, I would find 2x8GB of used DDR3 which should be pretty cheap. Maybe a new AIO cooler. Toss a 1080 and it should game at 1080\144 for another 1.5-2 years pretty well. At this point upgrading to a 1600 and re-using your 670 would be a completely lateral sidegrade. An 8400 wouldn't be much improvement, some but nothing big.

Yeah, PEBKAC on the overclocking for sure.

Honestly, id do just that..overclock this cpu, buy a 1080 amd maybe 2x8gb ram. Set for 2 more years before that quad starts hurting in a lot of games.

+1 to ED's suggestion. My 4690k is still fine even at a 4.2ghz OC. Granted my screen is 60hz so eh. What settings are you trying with your OC? Is it a temperature issue?

+1 to what Earthdog said

In cs @ 1080p every thing max settings 200+ fps , when cpu is between 4.5-4.7

Don't waste your $ on a system upgrade for a (max)10% fps boost in gaming . When a gfx card will give you a 2-4x better fps .

If you have specfic games ( and I have that game ) I would post SS's of fps if you want .

There are many Vid / reviews showing that if you have at least a 2600k to save your $ for 1080p gaming .

I'm also going to vote for upgrading the GPU, the fan on the CPU heatsink if you're going to overclock, and the RAM if you can use more.

Okay so the first thing I would like to say is thank you for all the responses and im sorry I couldnt have replied earlier. I spent most of yesterday trying to OC and I managed a 4.2 @ 1.250, no matter what I do, I just can not get past that wall. So with that said and secondly, I did end up buying a GPU. I bought a 1070ti which was oddly priced lower than the 1070's at the store I went to so that was a bonus, it was even a lower price than most online sources I checked.

In reference to the PSU, I was just mentioning getting a new one since I am not too sure how long they typically last, im assuming that since its not a no name piece of junk that it should last quite a while but ultimately I brought it up because someone here would know better than myself. The case I had added to the parts list because space is going to be on a premium in the next couple months (in either January or September I will be moving into a dorm for school), so I figured something smaller than the cube case I have would work best.

One thing I dont believe I mentioned about my computer is when playing games or doing really any demanding task on the CPU, it tends to cap to 100%. So my thoughts are that maybe its just getting old and not working quite right or something, thats where all of this came from, the whole new build thing. The same goes with ram, I tend to cap out on that rather frequently, but im going to look for some hopefully fairly cheap 16gb of ddr3 online somewhere to try to fix that.

Also if you guys have any idea on voltages and core clock, let me know and I will be sure to try them out, I am not honestly too sure on how far I can take this CPU with a hyper 212 EVO, currently I sit at 30-40 idle and 60-70 on load.

Last edited:
PSU's typically last as long as they last but for my main system I do typically try and replace mine before it goes poof. If it starts to go bad slowly that makes it easier to know or if it just one day won't turn on. Hopefully most quality units these days won't just blow and take your system with it when it goes bad.

Do you leave your PC on 24/7? Some do, I turn mine off whenever I leave the house. So it runs on avg 12 hrs a day. This makes a large difference in how long your unit will last. Another is if you blow it out every now and then so it doesn't get to dust clogged. I'd say 4+ years on a Bronze rated unit your doing pretty good as it is. No reason not to run it till it dies but that 1070 ti will be a much bigger draw than your old card. I'd say another year is all I would hope to get out of it.

What kind of case\fans do you have now? Sounds like you could use some better air flow.
As for your CPU getting maxed when doing demanding things... that happens. That is also why you have 4 cores though. CS:GO can't be maxing all 4 of your cores heh. In Windows Task Manager > Performance hit the Open Resource Monitor down at the bottom. In it go to the CPU tab. On the right you can see all your CPU threads to get a better idea of usage.

I will have to get back to you on those points about CPU usage in games, I need to go out and buy another monitor because my current second one is a little too old and only has VGA hook ups lol, it was time to replace it anyway. I also had 2 BSOD's this morning after having left it on all night and yesterday when I got it stable (Around 20:00 EST). Been running AIDA64 for a little while now and going to keep that up while I go out.

I dont generally keep my computer on when im not around, with a few exceptions (including last night). I probably average around 6-14 hours a day given whats happening in my life at the time.

Case is 540 Carbide Air with 1 exhaust fan at the back and 2 intakes on the front, I have 2 push/pull fans on my 212 EVO that push air toward the back exhaust fan. Nothing fancy (or expensive).

Ah 540 nice. So 2x140's in front and 1x140 in rear stock with 2x120's on the EVO? Should be pretty good air flow.
Would monitor your cpu and gpu temps during a good 30-60 minute gaming session see what you hit.
I think eventually will just need something better, a Noctua or AIO.

Sorry for late reply, got a stable 4.3, not gonna bother pushing it much further since im not too worried about it, still looking for some more ram to with my new card. All in all I am very happy with the new card and the overclock, very much feeling the power that I was looking for out of it before. Thank you guys for the help!

You could also consider going to a better cooler as this will help alleviate some excess heat and allow you to push the voltage and overclock further.

Sorry for late reply, got a stable 4.3, not gonna bother pushing it much further since im not too worried about it, still looking for some more ram to with my new card. All in all I am very happy with the new card and the overclock, very much feeling the power that I was looking for out of it before. Thank you guys for the help!

Un sync the cache from the core ratio .
set cache to 40
and try working from there .

Back