• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for sub $200 board with 6 sata ports for overclocking Haswell

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mas5acre

.No plans to sli or crossfire, just a single gpu. I need a bunch of sata ports 6 to 8, preferrably 8, even 10 but I do have a sata pci card. I need to overclock and spend as little as possible for this haswell build. Must be ATX or smaller for a silverstone GD08. High Power Effientcy is a huge plus

.No plans to sli or crossfire, just a single gpu. I need a bunch of sata ports 6 to 8, preferrably 8, even 10 but I do have a sata pci card. I need to overclock and spend as little as possible for this haswell build. Must be ATX or smaller for a silverstone GD08. High Power Effientcy is a huge plus

I would recommend the GA-Z87X-OC board from gigabyte. Simple to overclock (puts more voltage then it actully needs, so its better if u do it manually) comes with 6 sata ports and a bunch of OC features. OC Stability is a feature with the extra power slots.

This is the board I currently use and love it!

All Z87 based boards will have AT LEAST 6 SATA ports as that is what comes native to the chipset.The OP said he wanted 8-10 so the Z87X-OC is out (has only 6).

I lke Opty's choice above better than a board made for EXTREME overclocking personally. No need to spend $200 on a board when easily a $140 board will be just fine.

Also a note, all motherboards will add more voltage than needed when set to auto. I also do not understand what you mean by 'oc stability is a feature with the extra power slots' either... If you are talking the 4 pin power, that only needs to be plugged in when using extreme cooling methods. I was up to 5.1Ghz and did not use it. You will see my review on the front page soon...

I have really fallen in love with my asus maximums hero board. It has 6 native 6gib sata ports and 2 Marvell 6gib sata ports for a total of 8 sata 3 ports. The board is $194 on newegg and it has more options for overclocking than I can even handle plus the bios is easy to use with simple auto overclocking controls. Plus it just looks sexy and clean.

All Z87 based boards will have AT LEAST 6 SATA ports as that is what comes native to the chipset.The OP said he wanted 8-10 so the Z87X-OC is out (has only 6).

I lke Opty's choice above better than a board made for EXTREME overclocking personally. No need to spend $200 on a board when easily a $140 board will be just fine.

Also a note, all motherboards will add more voltage than needed when set to auto. I also do not understand what you mean by 'oc stability is a feature with the extra power slots' either... If you are talking the 4 pin power, that only needs to be plugged in when using extreme cooling methods. I was up to 5.1Ghz and did not use it. You will see my review on the front page soon...

OC Stability meaning there are extra 8-pin and 6-pin slots for electrical stability on the motherboard, ie the 4 pin motherboard connect has an extra 8 pin motherboard slot in case you need the extra voltage stability. Same things goes with the PCI-e lanes. theres an extra 6 pin power connector to make sure all 4 lanes of pci-e have the right voltage.

and yes, it definately means that the OC is out there are ONLY 6 sata ports. The Asus would definately be a good choice.

Awesome, ill read the review when its posted :) looking forward to seeing it!

Ok, but the OP said he isn't going SLI/CFx, and he doesn't need that 4 pin plugged in unless he is using extreme cooling methods. I didn't understand the point of bringing that up when it will not help the OP I guess is what I was getting at.

I actually bought and chosen a board. Thanks to all who posted. Someone mentioned an asrock board, which I looked up and decided against, but it led me to the asrock Extreme 4 with 8 sata ports. I really like the Gigabyte board mentioned as well but its features seemed a little too extreme to me. I probably would never touch the buttons on that board. This is going in a Silverstone GD08 HTPC. I plan to overclock but will be limited by the cooler and airflow in that case. I paid a $145 with a free stick of ripjaws 4gb ram. Really good deal considering any cheapy board would actually be more expensive buying the ram.

Back