• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to get a refurbed surface book

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

I'm trading away my old ThinkPad, so I need a replacement, and I'm trying to see what level of performance I actually need.

I had to deal with a former supervisor's love of Microsoft surfaces, and I'm thinking a Surface Book will actually fit what I'd like to do.

I'm thinking of the book over a plain surface due to the keyboard and how it can be positioned.

But uses are taking notes at meetings. Playing videos/netflix while working at things away from my main computer. Some light steam type gaming. Listening to audible and watching youtube.

Main question. Given that 8gb ram 256gb ssd is going for about just sub $500 and 16gb ram and 512gb ssd is going for just over $800, is it worth the jump in price?

(looks like those are gen 1 prices, not gen 2)

Thanks!

Have you also thought about a Chromebook? Sounds like it would a solid fit for those as well, with the bonus of the Google Play Games library for it.

The Google Pixelbook Go is high end and checks all the boxes, it seems?
https://www.amazon.com/Google-Pixelbook-Chromebook-128GB-Black/dp/B07YMM4YC1

Well, I was planning on something I could run MS Office on it, as I'm paying for a license.

Also, it doesn't look like the screen detaches, and I was kind of set on that for tablet type usages.

Well, I was planning on something I could run MS Office on it, as I'm paying for a license.

Also, it doesn't look like the screen detaches, and I was kind of set on that for tablet type usages.

Ah, I wasn't aware of those two needs.

There is an Office version for Chromebook, see the below link. Not sure if it has all the functionality you're looking for though.
https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...romebook-32f14a23-2c1a-4579-b973-d4b1d78561ad

The screen detaching, I'm only aware of a select few devices which will do that. The Surface is probably the best one of them.

Well, reading up some more, I really wanted the SB2 not the original. The prices above were for version 1. Wound up getting an open box with remaining warranty for $1100.

Looks like a lot of the listings on amazon had feedback claiming they were sent SB1s when they were expecting to get SB2s.

SB's are cool. I like the idea of detached for a nice tablet but a laptop for more battery / proper graphics card.

Back