• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to get more out of a FX-6100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the_cerberus

Registered
Hi, Im looking to get more out of my components and was just wondering if anyone can give me any pointers on overclocking them. My system details are below:

MoBo - Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 v4 F3
CPU - AMD FX-6100
CPU Cooler - Corsair CWCH80 Hydro Series H80 (running at the lowest setting)
RAM - G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX
PSU - Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 750W
GPU - AMD Radeon R7 200 Series
Case - Zalman Z11 (standard default fans)

I know my system isn't amazing at the start, but I'm just looking to get more out of it without having to spend anything if I can. I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a decent config. Im looking to overclock the CPU, GPU and RAM if need be.

Thanks!

The 6100 shouldn't be too difficult. It has an unlocked multiplier. The main thing is to keep an eye on you temps. There's a link in my sig about overclocking the FX processor. i suggest you have a read through to start.

^This
set the vCore to 1.45v max on load (well, 1.5v will do...), and see how high you can push the multi, stable with prime95 for a couple of hours, with temps on the core staying in the low 60's (mid 60's? ;) )

Hi, thanks for the quick replies. I have attaches some images of my current CPU stats for some further help.

I have disabled the core boost as per your thread but I am a bit confused as to how to increase the Vcore. I think it said the value next to it is what it will increase by if I am right, the first value that comes up is 0.8 which would put the Vcore up to 2.5? (this is where im confused)

So if i changed the value on the right to 1.45 as per your recommendation and the image, is that the right thing to do?

As you can see my CPU core temp is quite low, so what is the max this can be for a safe overclock?

Thanks and apologies, its probably me just being too careful. xD

Attachments

• IMG_2801.JPG
    IMG_2801.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,317
  • IMG_2802.JPG
    IMG_2802.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,328
  • IMG_2803.JPG
    IMG_2803.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,357
my opinion from my experience is the fx series can be quite warm little buggers, all depends on the tim between the ihs plate and the chip to start with, then cooling used for it and the case and case cooling you have in it , to me that chip would be happy at 4.5 to 5 gig easily, i would up the hydro H80 to at least medium setting, then go from there, cpu voltage at say 1. 48, this should bring your temps around the 45c mark which is still quite cool, depending on the chip of course i dare say the ram at 1.5 stock will handle 1.55 v easily, but i dont know what or if you have any ram cooling, eg fans on them, id bump the NB volts up a bit too, but try 1 thing at a time then see how it reacts, if you try too many things at once to gain more , at times its easily forgotten where you are unless you write the b4 and after down as you go so it can be changed back easily it can get confusing, so i would suggest 1 thing at time and write it down as you go, then do another...good luck with it :thup:

Cheers for the very detailed help everyone, when I get home from work I'll try it out. Also, I don't have any memory cooling just yet but I can probably get one, any favorites (but cheap) ones?

Any suggestions for the GPU too? :)

Thanks! S

theres plenty of memory cooling options out there, like this for eg, and also depends on your case design, but if you havent got that , just a fan with cable ties attached to a fan with a simple molex 12v connector will do the same thing, personally i prefer fans to be connected to constant 12v power, i run a seperate psu that handles all that for my benching power to accessories, that leaves my main psu free for benching , , my daily i dont need it, coz i dont play with it now, i learnt the hard way ;)

theres a saying in the cpu world and its true

dont play with your daily too much because it will somewhere come back and bite you somewhere

Hi again, I've upped the vcore to 1.48 and the multplier to 20 which made it around 4Ghz. The temp goes to around 36C in the bios without any load on it. I have yet to do any stress testing though. any suggestions on what to do next?

Thanks

Attachments

• 160420171507.BMP
    945.6 KB · Views: 1,249
  • 160420171916.BMP
    945.6 KB · Views: 1,272
I'd start a bit more conservative than 1.48v myself .

Can you elaborate?

Using AMD Overdrive (i'm guessing people have mixed feelings about this) I have now bumped up the multiplier to 21 which now gives me 4200Mhz, whilst the Vcore is at 1.368v even though overdrive states its 1.25 xD. According to overdrive it runs stable at this and I myself don't notice any issues so far, but i wouldn't mind giving it a bit more to get it to the 5Ghz someone stated earlier ;) just want opinions on whether i should do this...

Cheers

Can you elaborate?

Using AMD Overdrive (i'm guessing people have mixed feelings about this) I have now bumped up the multiplier to 21 which now gives me 4200Mhz, whilst the Vcore is at 1.368v even though overdrive states its 1.25 xD. According to overdrive it runs stable at this and I myself don't notice any issues so far, but i wouldn't mind giving it a bit more to get it to the 5Ghz someone stated earlier ;) just want opinions on whether i should do this...

Cheers
I doubt there are really mixed feelings about AOD. Unless youre monitoring temps of an AMD APU(which youre not), dont use it. You need Prime 95, CPUz, and HWMonitor.
Reset everything in bios to default(full auto everything). Run p95 blend for 20mins, take a screenshot under load and post it in here. Then we can go from there.
example.PNG

Heres my experience with a 6200 on a ga970something, mind you I dont care if my rig goes up in flames.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...houghts-on-my-Overclock-System?highlight=6200

Last edited:
My statement was about the V_Core I wouldn't start that high. You just said that 1.368 got you 4.1 well what were the temps and I agree with DNR, AOD isn't a good stability test just not hard enough.

Here are the screenshots, can you suggest anything? :)

At 4.2g with 1.368v I was getting temps of around 28C, thats with my cooler on its medium setting.

Thanks

Attachments

• CPU-Z.png
    CPU-Z.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,280
  • PRIME95.png
    PRIME95.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,256
  • HWMONITOR.png
    HWMONITOR.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,253
Ok before we go any further do you think you can set your ram timings? If you look at the SPD tab it say you have an XMP for 1600 at Cl 9-9-9-24-33, right now you are at 11-11-11-28-39. If you go to DRam timings you should be able to plug in the numbers I just told you.

I will get straight onto that tomorrow, but I have work in the morning (N) so will continue this endeavour after.

Would just like to say thanks everyone for all your help so far, it's very much appreciated.

and he has all the green stuff on and it looks like turbo is still enabled.
getting his ram set off of auto is spot on.

Here is the screenshot you wanted of its stats under load. I've also included the ram timings changed in the screenshot.

Attachments

• under load.png
    under load.png
    229.2 KB · Views: 1,231
hows about a screen shot of what you hardware monitor says whats what in your bios ????

The information my BIOS says is no different to any of the information i've already provided here, the only difference is the MAC addresses of my NIC which isn't relevant at all to over clocking. :)

Back