• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED looking to replace my stock intel hsf for my i7-920

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
so i have recently acquired a slight upgrade but didn't really have enough time to properly research heatsinks and right now i am using the stock intel hsf on my i7-920. i haven't purchased a heatsink since around 2007 and this is definitely my first lga1366 so i'm a bit out behind on what is hot and what isn't. all i know is that his stock hsf is pretty loud and i'm still running at stock.

what i am looking for is a hsf that can provide some decent cooling for a modest overclock while staying pretty quiet when running idle. i've been looking over at frozencpu.com as they have always had a great selection. i'm debating over these two at the moment:

i am most definitely open to suggestions but my price range is <$75 or so.

MUX120 performs better than the Megahalems. And the True Spirit performs essentially identically to the MUX, but is cheaper. SVC is selling the True Spirit for $31.95 and the MUX120-Black for around $55. The TS uses the old "X" style 1366 TR mount but the MUX120-Black comes with the Ven-X style mount.

I find FrozenCPU to be kind of pricey on most of their stuff, but they do have a good selection.

And give me a PM if you are looking for heatsinks.:rofl::rofl:

Yeah, it's starting to get that way right now.:rofl::rofl:

Need to sell more heatsinks.;)

Darn Mudd :p I just bought an MUX-120 Black from SVC

Well, bentley I was in this same position recently, debating which sink to choose. For me, it was a TRUE with a 1156 bracket (for my new sandy bridge) an MUX-120 Black, or...something else :)

I ended up going with the MUX-120 Black because the improved mounting system allows up to 70 lbs of pressure. Something which has been shown empirically to improve temps vs. lower pressure.

I went with San Ace 9G1212H1011s in push/pull. There was another place I was researching for literally months. Back in the day I'd have said, Delta 120x38 Tri-Blade in High or Super High speed on a fan controller. Good luck finding some of those ;) Went through many listening sessions on martinm's youtube, testimonials on here. Was going to go AP-15 Gentle Typhoon but, figured if I wanted the extra oomph it wouldn't be there. Looked at AP-29 and figured other performance fans would be better suited :) Sorry for the wall of text.

+1 for the MUX-120 Black :)

i saw the ninja edit :rofl:

after talking with mudd, i think i have something that will work for me. thanks for the suggestions :)

No, I'm too busy testing cpu heatsinks to do video card heatsinks, unfortunately. I plan to test multiple heatsinks this time when I get in from the rig. Get the testing done, then write up the reviews.

Got anything for good for GTX570 ? stock cooler isnt bad but playing witcher2 turns it into hairdryer

You should look for the Accelero Xtreme Plus in our very own classifieds, or an Xtreme Plus II will also work for a 570. You'll need the VRM kit (model # VR004) as well.

I'm a Thermalright guy when it comes to CPU heatsinks, but AC's nailed down GPU coolers for the moment.

You should look for the Accelero Xtreme Plus in our very own classifieds, or an Xtreme Plus II will also work for a 570. You'll need the VRM kit (model # VR004) as well.

I'm a Thermalright guy when it comes to CPU heatsinks, but AC's nailed down GPU coolers for the moment.

Thanks ill look into those, truth be told im a little skeptical of aftermarket gpu coolers, i have yet to see gpu cooler that would make me say yes i love that that design it will drop my temps significantly while staying quiet, i also want something that would actually make a noticeable difference i have no problem paying $50-$70 for a cooler that will drop my temps by 10C-15C and stay quiet, but paying $50 for 5C temp drop and on top of that the heat is exhausted into the case which raises cpu, that just wont cut it, thats why i was asking muddog for advice, since he really helped me out with cpu cooler, i love my Cogage Arrow it did cost me over $100 but it keeps my 920 @ 4Ghz in mid 30C, low 70C in prime95 and it matches my black/red evga theme with those 15blade black/red aerocool sharks, i think i might wait until he reviews some gpu heatsinks after all my temps arent that bad, i have yet to hit 70C in any game, so far witcher2 holds the top temp record; 67C with card oc'd to 900/1800/2300 @ 1.063v and 64C with my 24/7 oc 867/1734/2125 @ 1.013v, these temps arent high for the card its the fact that after few hours of playing games like crysis 2, witcher2, dragon age2, my room is like 5C hotter.

Thanks ill look into those, truth be told im a little skeptical of aftermarket gpu coolers, i have yet to see gpu cooler that would make me say yes i love that that design it will drop my temps significantly while staying quiet, i also want something that would actually make a noticeable difference i have no problem paying $50-$70 for a cooler that will drop my temps by 10C-15C and stay quiet, but paying $50 for 5C temp drop and on top of that the heat is exhausted into the case which raises cpu, that just wont cut it, thats why i was asking muddog for advice, since he really helped me out with cpu cooler, i love my Cogage Arrow it did cost me over $100 but it keeps my 920 @ 4Ghz in mid 30C, low 70C in prime95 and it matches my black/red evga theme with those 15blade black/red aerocool sharks, i think i might wait until he reviews some gpu heatsinks after all my temps arent that bad, i have yet to hit 70C in any game, so far witcher2 holds the top temp record; 67C with card oc'd to 900/1800/2300 @ 1.063v and 64C with my 24/7 oc 867/1734/2125 @ 1.013v, these temps arent high for the card its the fact that after few hours of playing games like crysis 2, witcher2, dragon age2, my room is like 5C hotter.

No GPU cooler's going to make your room temperature not go up, as all that heat does have to go somewhere.

I have pretty good airflow in a large full-tower case, but with my 6950 and an Accelero cooler, after 2 hours of New Vegas today I'm looking at high GPU temps of 50C (79F ambient - yay Florida :( ) in HWinfo64. GPU vreg temps are at 52C highest with a bunch of copper on the chips.

I've used Thermalright aftermarket GPU coolers through the V1 to the HR-03GT, and they always performed well, but this one is actually nearly-silent while getting similar results, whereas I never really saw that with the HR models.

Since I've been using aftermarket GPU coolers for awhile the highs of 80C+ with the stock cooler and BIOS fan profile kinda freaked me out when I got the card. I probably would have stuck with the stock cooler but I was aiming for quiet overclocking with the system rebuild, and the rotary fan threw that out the window at 50%+.

No GPU cooler's going to make your room temperature not go up, as all that heat does have to go somewhere.

true but theres difference between rotary fan blowing out 90F air directly into the room (like heater) and heat being dissipated across large heatsink before air around it heats up too much, this is also true for cpus, imagine 6950 rotary cooler on i7 oc'd to 4Ghz, it would put out a ton of heat, but with Cogage arrow on mine it idles in mid 30C and tops out with prime95 in low 70C, its all about decepating heat efficiently

true but theres difference between rotary fan blowing out 90F air directly into the room (like heater) and heat being dissipated across large heatsink before air around it heats up too much, this is also true for cpus, imagine 6950 rotary cooler on i7 oc'd to 4Ghz, it would put out a ton of heat, but with Cogage arrow on mine it idles in mid 30C and tops out with prime95 in low 70C, its all about decepating heat efficiently

1 watt of heat = 1 watt of heat no matter how it is dissipated.

Edit: The better the heatsink is at doing it's job, the HOTTER your room will be. It's transfering the heat from the CPU, to the air, which is being exhausted into your room via the case fans. The more heat it can transfer to the air, the hotter your room will be, to an equilibrium point.

Back