• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to upgrade ddr4 ram from 8gb -> 32gb (2 x 16gb).

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vinicello

Looking for recommendations. budget around $250 cad

Attached ram.jpg are my cpuz-z specs on memory.

Excuse a noob, but I have never upgraded ram before. not sure if I need to look for specific frequency when i buy.

What computer is this for? Is it one that you built or purchased? Is it from a system integrator or a large box OEM? The motherboard and CPU play a big role in ram compatibility, can you post those tabs from CPU-z?

SPD is the name of a chip on the memory module that stores different pre-set speeds. Some of those will be enabled automatically when inserted into the board, called JDEC. Think of these as the default settings. Your memory appears to be running a JDEC specs, but posting the SPD tab from CPU-Z will confirm. The numbers you see advertised when shopping for ram are called XMP. These speeds and timing allow you to run the memory at rated speed that are faster than default, but they are not compatible with every system. Without knowing more about your system we can't tell you what memory to buy.

cpu.jpg
motherboard.jpg
spd_slot_4.jpg

it was pre-built. It's an Ibuypower desktop. I'd like to get into customizations on this one to learn how to do a build in the future.

I appreciate the help!

That board is made just for iBuypower, so there's no published QVL (list of memory modules that have been tested with the board and worked well). Here is the QVL for the similar B360M Pro 4 https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B360M Pro4/index.asp#Memory.

To confirm, you're intending to replace the original memory with the new sticks, not add new sticks to mix with the original sticks? This is the preferred method.

Here is someone on reddit who claims to have a copy of the manual that he will email to people, I have no clue if it's legit so you can determine for yourself if it's worth giving your email to a stranger on reddit.
If you want to keep things simple, the easiest thing to do would be to buy a kit of 2666MHz memory, preferably from the list I linked above. It appears that 2666MHz is the maximum officially supported as well. If you're interested in trying to go faster and the modest performance improvement offered by this, well need to find out if your motherboard's BIOS supports XMP or manual memory settings. Since it's from a system integrator and not an off the shelf part, the only way to find out is for you to have a look around. I would have a look at the the B360M Pro4 manual (https://download.asrock.com/Manual/B360M Pro4.pdf) and review the sections about memory and the BIOS, and see if you can find anything similar in your BIOS.

Back