• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

loose CPU temp reading in windows after Bios update

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sirbow2

Registered
ok so i updated my GA-890GPA-UD3H mobo to the latest F7 bios from F5 i had installed. it now shows correct CPU temps in the bios, as before it was off by about 5-10C. but now even with the latest HWmonitor or Core Temp versions i get 0C as my CPU temp in windows which is obviously wrong!

so has anyone else run into this issue or is it just me. is it possible that core temp doesn't support the new bios?

thanks for your genius help in the past and in the future :thup:

MOST of these temp monitors install "low level" driver items, even if you dont see them. they potentially can confict with eachother. you can also disable (or uninstall) all but the one your trying to test at the time.
when you get desperate tossing on this and that to try and get a view, you can end up with 5 of them things in there :) i only mention this because that is what i had. it is no wonder the readings were all over the place.

Look in your device manager with a "hidden devices" tweak, and turn on the view of "hidden devices", or get AUTORUNS , and disable all the extras, to see if a conflicting sencor reading driver is snagging the readings.

then there is tearing all that monitoring stuff out of the system and the drivers, then reinstalling them now that changes are made, to see if they can re-attach.
these things dont Require an "instalation" anymore to install thier low level driver, some of them install it on first run, the names of thier .sys file or driver are pretty obvious most of the time, just think abbreviation.

after you installed a new bios, did you reset the bios to defaults (as appropriate) then reboot around again (the bios not the os) and set your bios items off of default. this isnt likly to effect a monitor, but it is a step that gets ignored often.

Last edited:
i have HWmonitor installed before but i ll still try. i will remove HWmonitor. i didnt reset to defaults in bios because cus i didnt want to loose my OC but that is because i was lazy, ill reset the bios to defaults and re-enter my OC

uinstall will not always remove the DRIVER itself. so its easier to just temporarily disable the driver items down to one item at a time. then you dont have to uninstall anything.

i didnt see any hidden device in my device manager after i selected that option, i reset my bios to defaults and i still got no reading for CPU, i just reinstalled all my mobo drivers fro windows so im gunna try again after a reboot

and HW and core temp worked before installed at the same time so idk what is causing it ill go into ubuntu quick and see if i get temps form there, i forgot how to get temps via terminal from ubuntu could someone refresh me?

What CPU are you running?
Is "core unlocker" (or whatever Gigabyte calls it) or ACC enabled?

MOST of these temp monitors install "low level" driver items, even if you dont see them. they potentially can confict with eachother. you can also disable (or uninstall) all but the one your trying to test at the time.
I'm not sure CoreTemp has a "driver" of any type. I can't say anything about the other programs but CoreTemp is very simple, which is why I like it so much ... ;)

Last edited:
i dont know if it has one either, but ALSYSIO.SYS is alleged to be related to "cool it"? got that? it is the signed driver for some version of coretemp for Vista and 7. really hepfull of them to have it named so a person could locate it ;-)

I used ALSYSIO.SYS along with ALSYSIO.exe when I helped The Coolest test CoreTemp years ago but I don't think the released version of CoreTemp uses it - at least it's not part of the CoreTemp download. He sent those files to me separately to help isolate the problem CoreTemp was having on one of my systems. Haven't seen it before or since that one time and, AFAIK, none of my other systems have it anywhere.

PS
Is it possible it's part of one of the add-ons CoreTemp has instead of being part of the main program ...?

Last edited:
i do have core unlocker enabled, i was trying to figure out what it did, ill disable it and try again

Yeah, it's an odd phenomenon (lol), but whenever ACC is manually turned on in the bios, or Core Unlocker is used, the temperature readings in Windows no longer work. Bios still works correctly for some reason.

Yeah, it's an odd phenomenon (lol), but whenever ACC is manually turned on in the bios, or Core Unlocker is used, the temperature readings in Windows no longer work. Bios still works correctly for some reason.
Correction: The core temp on-die sensors no longer work. Windows programs like HWMonitor should still show the CPU (socket) temp from the motherboard sensor - the same sensor BIOS uses. BIOS doesn't show core temps ...

Last edited:
why not? so are you saying there are temp probes on the CPU die but they arent used? if so whats the point

why not? so are you saying there are temp probes on the CPU die but they arent used? if so whats the point
The on-die core temp sensors work just fine when they come out of the AMD factory. :)

Core unlocking mechanisms, whether it's using ACC or some other method, is NOT an AMD spec - the board manufacturers add those on their own. When extra cores are unlocked that way, however, the core temp function is lost. People that buy X4's always have them. People that buy X2's or X3's and turn them into X4's loose them. The board manufacturers do that, not AMD. It's the price you pay for buying an X2 or X3 then unlocking it to an X3 or X4 ...

Last edited:
i have a 6 core i was just trying to figure out what it did. i removed the core unlock and it enabled core temps again but the temps were still wrong but i have located the temp sensors on the mobo under the cpu in HWMonitor and they seem accurate so i will use HWmonitor for now. but i cant keep the bios as it messes up my OSX install(hackintosh)

by "temps are wrong " i meant that it is impossible to have a CPU at 17C when its 85F in the room. the on die temps are too low. now i use the CPU temp monitor on the mobo below the CPU instead

It is not uncommon for core temps to be more accurate under load than at idle. They may still be pretty reliable under load, where it counts. Maybe its kind of like trying to get an accurate weight on a sack of potatoes using a roadside truck scale. The sensitivity range of the instrument does not allow that to work very well. If you calibrate it for the sack of potatoes it won't weight the semi truck very accurately.

Back