• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lost performance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dD01

Hi,

I've recently bought a pretty good computer and overclocked it as much as i dared :p .

Then something happened..The screen went black and the VPU recover popped up, I restarted and everything seemed to be fine but,
I used to get 14500 in 3d mark 03,
now i got 8500!!!

Updated bios, drivers, even re-installed windows 2000 - no change
Now i've got it up to 12400 marks..

Whats wrong? :confused:

Computer:

P4 775 3.4 @ 3.8ghz
Radeon pci-e x800xt @ 530/1100mhz
Abit AA8 3-rd eye mobo
Crucial 1024MB DDR2 PC4300.

Pretty sure this is wrong posted, sorry about that.

Last edited:
sounds like a power/heat issue to me.

What are you using to cool the cpu and gpu? what powersupply do you have running the system? VPU recoverer makes me think that your gpu overheated or something, and it now throttling itself to stay cool or something. Make sure you have the external power connectors on that vid card hooked up as well.

Use motherboard monitro 5 to check all you voltages and temperatures, and visually check that all your fans (especially the vid card one) are running.

Oh, and Welcome to the Forums

Thanks!

I'm using Thermaltake Silent Tower to cool the CPU, and Stock on the vid card.
The Power supply is a Fortron 350W.
Thinking about buying a OCZ 520W..

All fans are running and the temps are:
CPU: 43 C Idle and 56-58 C Load
Vid: 38 C idle 60 C Load
Sys: 30 C

Is fast write disabled and the quality settings set to performance in your ATI toolbar? I forgot to do that with my 9800 Pro and my 3DMark score dropped like a rock.

I'd really recommend getting the OCZ PSU...... given all of the parts that you have, that Fortron's got to be having some trouble supplying the power you need.

Fast write is disabled, and the quality setting in the tool bar is at high performance.

Should fast write be on?

Nope, it should be off.

Hmmm, it's on AGP 8x? That wouldn't drop your score by 2k points, but might as well ask.

VPU recover pops up on me when I've oc'ed my graphics card too far and it's getting too hot, so it'll shut down and restore the default settings to protect the card.

When VPU recover came on, did it restore your graphics card to it's stock speed? Also, are you running the same overclock that you were when you ran 3DMark before?

ok, and no its at pcie x16.

VPU recover popped up at 560/570.
It restored to stock speeds then I used ATItool to find max core and mem, got it to 530/551.
No Artifacts.

Back