• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lost pictures on camera

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

attack

My wife had a bunch of pictures on her camera. She deleted one or two of them and now all of them are gone. I figured, yeah right I'm sure she hit delete all...so I told her to stop using to memory card, she put it in her laptop and I remoted into her computer. I ran Recuva but to my surprise, it didn't find anything!

I checked into the properties of the drive and it says it's using 1500mb out of 2GB available! There's only 2 folders, DCIM and MISC, DCIM is 20mb with 9 pictures, and MISC is empty. On the Root directory is 1 file there's a .dsc file that's 1kb. Nothing else?

How do I get the pictures off? This is madness!

didn't work, found the same thing windows explorer found, DCIM and MISC directory with 9 pictures. There's something not right...about this the space is used but I can't see whereit is?

you could try 'get back data'. The free trial lets you view the deleted files, but not recover them unless you buy it. But you could at least use it to see if it recognises the hidden files. I have done this before after Deleting all my music. Remember that files on a storage device are not deleted they are just labelled as 'hidden' until something new overwrites them. So there is hope!

I'll give it a try as well....it's just odd, both programs I've used, recuva and photo recovery both should've searched for files but none of them came up with anything.

The space is being reported as used by windows which makes no sense because I only see 20mb of 1500mb that are apparently being used.

Any other ideas? Like I said it's odd that windows is saying 75% of the 2GB is used, but yet there's only 20mb of files?

i used a "pen drive" recovery software one time, on a SD disk (in sd card reader) that i purposfully deleteted everything on, and it found everything i had deleted.
then i formatted the SD (quick) and recovered everything again.
Just like a HD drive the stuff isnt deleted till it is overwritten , even though it is "memory" not a Hard drive.

Then i provided the link to the same software to another user , after i had fully tested that it could recover anything deleted. and they couldnt get thier stuff back off thiers.
but then some other program did work for them.

it is so strange when the process of reading marked for deletion clusters and snagging the data off them through the same connection type (usb) , and even using the same card type, can be different.

So i would say try different stuff, AND try a different card reader too.

other stuff: (that may or may not apply) , a Flash drive has internal "bad sector" marking , it is capable internally of marking of a sector of itself as being bad, and no longer using it. Plus bad sectors can be logged out on something like a hard drive , from just a fluke, a failure a power issue, a minor crash, so that system is not infalable, although i doubt that is where 75% of it went :) it is just one of the things that happens inside.

Last edited:
Back