• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lots of Q's, wanting knowledge.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TekeTorvo

All was well............for a time.

I have a few questions, that could possibly go into several different thread topics, but I figured I would ask in one post so you all could get the full picture. And all of these are probably not even related, but I am not positive, so if I don't get a responce about a particular item, I will post later in the correct forum about it.

1. My system has run great for awhile now, but recently, when booting up, it gets to the "Verifying DMI Data Pool" and freezes. Not often but enough to go ahead and ask since I am bugging you all anyways. I am thinking that is a Windows Issue, but I am not sure because it is not quite into Windows yet. Probably just starting Windows.

2. I FINALLY got my computer down to idle at around 39c, (depending on the gravitational pull of the Moon because sometimes I idle at 44c), But when I play FarCry, I still reach close to 55c. 16c jump from idle to full load is not common by any standards. Will my Volts be causing this? Are they too high? (look to 4. for volts). What would YOU do to get this system's temps to act like they should? My HSF is ZALMAN CNPS7000B

3. The reason for posting in CPU/AMD.....I have dabbled in the OCing of my computer. Just about everything I change, causes my computer to not boot up. I have read the MANY threads about OCing, but little of it is in plain english. Like, what is a divider? I tried to change my FSB: DRAM (Is that the Divider?), from 100% to 120% and that was not a good thing to do. I thought I had bought some excellent RAM, but apparently not. 200 Bucks for each stick!!! I can get to 2300Mhz with the basic knowledge I have of playing with the FSB and Multiplier. Anything more and Out comes the Battery, and resetting the BIOS for me. Basically, what would you do to OC this system if it was yours?

4. My Volts are as follows
CPU Vcore=1.65
DDR Volt 2.6
AGP VDDQ Volt 1.5

Should any of these Volts be Higher/Lower? When I first bought my RAM, I had to contact PNY because Dual Channel mode wouldn't boot up, and they had me change one of those 3, I don't remember which. The other 2 are the way they came.

My system
CPU-Z Report
CPU-Z version 1.27.

CPU(s)
Number of CPUs 1
Name AMD Athlon XP
Code Name Barton
Specification AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3200+
Family / Model / Stepping 6 A 0
Extended Family / Model 7 A
Package Socket A
Technology 0.13 µ
Supported Instructions Sets MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!, SSE
CPU Clock Speed 2205.0 MHz
Clock multiplier x 11.0
Front Side Bus Frequency 200.5 MHz
Bus Speed 400.9 MHz
L1 Data Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L1 Instruction Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Cache 512 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed 2205.0 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
L2 Bus Width 64 bits

Mainboard and chipset
Motherboard manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Motherboard model A7N8X-E, REV 2.xx
BIOS vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD
BIOS revision ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1013
BIOS release date 11/12/2004
Chipset nVidia nForce2 Ultra 400 rev. C1
Southbridge nVidia nForce2 MCP-T rev. A4
Sensor chip Asus ASB100
Graphic Interface AGP
AGP Status enabled, rev. 3.0
AGP Data Transfert Rate 8x
AGP Max Rate 8x
AGP Side Band Addressing supported, enabled
AGP Aperture Size 256 MBytes

Memory
DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM
DRAM Size 1024 MBytes
DRAM Frequency 200.5 MHz
FSB: DRAM 1:1
CAS# Latency 2.5 clocks
RAS# to CAS# 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge 3 clocks
Cycle Time (TRAS) 6 clocks
# of memory modules 2
Module 0 PNY Electronics DDR-SDRAM PC4000 - 512 MBytes
Module 1 PNY Electronics DDR-SDRAM PC4000 - 512 MBytes

Software
Windows version Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
DirectX version 9.0c

Any other information you will need is probably in my signature, or just ask and I will happily help you help me.

have you tried to run check disk (long version) and then defragment ?

maybe try a new flash on bios.. if the above doesnt work ..

I ran checkdisk through the run command, but it took it's sweet time so I went AFK. What the outcome was I don't know. I assume if there were any errors, a window would have stayed up.

I re-flashed my BIOS, and no files were over written.

That board is known to be bitchy with its BIOS. Have you loaded fail-safe defaults? Most likley you will never hit PC4000 speeds. You are probly going to top off at 3500 at best

Last edited:
If that means pulling the battery out and crossing the jumper to re-set, yes I have.

TekeTorvo said:
If that means pulling the battery out and crossing the jumper to re-set, yes I have.
Yea like I said. If I ploped your RAM into my board it would be fine, but since this is an A7NX you are going to be limited to 215 because of its design :-/

I am almost positive PNY had me raise the RAM volt to 2.8. When I reset the BIOS, would it have set that back to 2.7? That's where it is at now.

TekeTorvo said:
I am almost positive PNY had me raise the RAM volt to 2.8. When I reset the BIOS, would it have set that back to 2.7? That's where it is at now.
Yes, it would reset what the manufactuer (Asus) defines at normal DDR400 operating speeds. Try raising it back to 2.8

My Apologies. It was reset to 2.6, so I have raised it to 2.7. I am going to run MemTest for a bit. Am curious if there is any problems there.

Would lowering my CPU Vcore down a touch, make my system unstable? I just want to get the 16c temp jump down a little.

Back