• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LSI00051 question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stetser

Registered
First, the link.

I'm building a RAID 5 array consisting of Western Digital RE2 WD5000YS drives. Initially the array will have 5 drives, for a total of around 2TB. Obviously with 8 ports on the card, I have room for a little bit of expansion.

My question, however, concerns the "expanders" for the card. Specifically, are expanders something that I could fit in my full tower case? From my googling, the only thing I've discovered are rack mount style expanders, which I am not interested in. What I want to know is if I can (eventually) stock my case full of 16 drives and have them all cabled to my LSI00051.

If so, does anyone know how much such an expander would cost, or even better, provide a link to somewhere I could purchase one?

My bottom line is if I cannot cheaply and easily expand this LSI into a 16 port card, my money will be better served buying a Highpoint 2320, as it is roughly $100 cheaper and also an 8 port card. Since I will never have more than ~5 boxes accessing the array at any given time, I'm simply looking for the best $ per port ratio.

Expanders work with sas drives only not sata. you can ignore everything you have ever heard about expanders if your going sata.

also i would get a 3-ware card over that controller personally. and definately stay away from the highpoint. those controllers blow.

Back