• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Main update in Windows 10 results in drastically slower reboot times.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bageland2000

I've installed windows 10 fresh on a new SSD three times now over the course of about eight months. Each time I'll do a few test reboots and it will be incredibly fast with about a eight second POST-to-login-screen delay. Then I'll install wireless drivers and fully update windows without installing any other programs/drivers. Each time I've done this after the big update (the one that takes like 10 minutes and has multiple reboots with completion percentage status) my reboot times go to about three-five minutes. Is there some major change with the update? Has anyone experienced this?

I have had wireless enabled across a few boards.. boots just fine.

Edit: since 1604, one... Works fine. On Asus z170 rog max viii extreme

My two laptops and 2 PCs with windows 10 don't have booting trouble time.

Yeah I have a Windows 10 surface pro that boots really quickly too. I understand that not all machines may be affected, but it seems really apparent to me that it happens as a result of the windows 10 update. I could be wrong, but I don't have any other leads.

I can try that. I have no other issues with it though. Application loading and general use is really snappy. I'll let you know what I find.

Is there a specific test you recommend?

For a cold boot I'm at my desktop in about 20 seconds, including log in password. That's one of the few things I actually like about W10. LOL

My suggestion would be to install your chipset, ME, and gpu drivers (from usb) first, then install the wireless and see what happens. Since you don't have the base communications down (chipset/me), maybe there is something going on...

I doubt the ssd is the problem...but worth checking the smart data at least.

Last edited:
OMG...

OMG I finally figured it out! The Intel Management Engine driver was bad, I uninstalled the driver and it boots INSTANTLY. There is a God.

ive had issues with usb devices plugged in when booting, eg cell phone, usb wireless dongle. some stuff win10 throws fits about it i dont understand it. simply plugging my phone in can make the loading login screen take upwards of 5 minutes to load to desktop.

ive had issues with usb devices plugged in when booting, eg cell phone, usb wireless dongle. some stuff win10 throws fits about it i dont understand it. simply plugging my phone in can make the loading login screen take upwards of 5 minutes to load to desktop.

Wow that's crazy. I still haven't figured out what IME is though, it seems like a phantom device on the motherboard!

For a brief introduction to IME check out: All about Intel Management Engine Interface | Intel Technologies:

Posted by Tom Carpenter
Intel Management Engine Interface or IMEI is one of the main components of the VPRO Remote Access technology by Intel. VPRO is an umbrella term that refers to a collection of several computer hardware technologies that help in managing the PCs. These technologies provide security features and enable remote accessing to the PC including the management, monitoring and maintenance irrespective of the operating system state and PC power state as well. IMEI manages the processor’s input/output operations.

What exactly is IMEI?
Most of the people still remain confused with the term Intel Management Engine Interface as they have little knowledge of the computer hardware. So, here is a short definition of IMEI. Basically, it is an interface that uses the Intel ME hardware features to enable an interaction between high- and low-level hardware systems in a system. With this Intel feature, the administrators can now handle the tasks without intervention of the human beings. This has simplified various tasks in a computer system.
Is IMEI required in all systems?

Intel Management Engine Interface allows you to work in both low as well as high level hardware environments. You can carry out various configuration tasks using this interface system. Also, some applications like remote access require connection between low and high levels of hardware in the board. For this IMEI is must.

Setting up the Management Engine (ME)
Management engine is a low power, small computer sub-system that is built into many chipset based platforms of the processors. For utilising the Management Engine interface, you are required to setup the Intel’s ME by activating it successfully in compatible BIOS system of the PCs. Once the Management Engine is enabled in the system, you get access to different BIOS functions. For altering any existing changes in the BIOS system, you need to configure an initial password for the administrator when you enter the ME BIOS interface for the very first time.

With the help of ME, one can easily turn ON Intel’s active management technology already existing on the system. The power management feature of this technology saves overhead energy that is not in use. Management Engine shuts down after a definite interval of time when the interface is no longer active. This allows the systems to sleep thus saving power when not in use.

Tasks performed by the Management Engine
The main component of Management Engine interface, ME performs a number of tasks in conditions when the system is running or in sleep mode. It also supports several tasks during the boot process. This sub-system is required for proper functioning and maximum efficiency of the PC. The interface checks whether the system is working properly or not while communicating with the operating system of PC.

Use of IMEI drivers
It is well known that the Intel Management Engine Interface enables effectual communication between the Intel Management Engine firmware and the host operating system. The Driver installs the hardware required for proper functioning of interface. Intel Management Engine interface driver support is different for different operating systems.

Back