• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making My Own Recovery Partition W7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I found this site that guides me on how to create a recovery of windows 7

http://ccm.net/faq/4093-windows-7-create-a-recovery-partition

In my rig below is a Sandisk 128GB SSD it's not the fastest out there I think it's sort of low end spec that was £40 but a friend gave it to me I would like to use that as my recovery drive in case my W7 would screw up but is it possible for me to create that on the SSD and if all else fails just make set-up run from that drive by pressing F12 etc and then running the install, will this guide do that for me when I need it. I don't want it to try and load it every time I boot my PC up just when I need to do a re-install of W7 as a fresh install is probably the best.

What about the built in Windows 7 Image back-up will that always work?

You could use a clonezilla bootdisc. Key being it's a bootdisc (via usb flash drive and rufus of course). I use Veeam on my tablet and DriveImage XML on my desktop. I'd use veeam on both but I screwed the pooch on my desk and now certain programs refuse to install. All hail to portable software. As long as your ssd is recognized by the bootdisc your gold.
Personally I would not rely on the built-in backup. I couldn't even get t to work at all. Right up there with the healing abilities of system restore, out to lunch.

Last edited:
You would have to make the recovery partition bootable somehow. Copy the contents of the Windows 7 installation media to that partition and then use use the DOS command to run the executable Windows setup command. Found this: http://www.backup-utility.com/okr/make-a-recovery-partition.html

An easier way would be to make a Windows 7 ISO with Macrium Reflect free and copy it to a USB external HD or a flash drive. Also make a Macrium Reflect Rescue disk. The Rescue Disk is self-booting and will enable you to execute the .iso file from the external storage device.

Last edited:
The issue with a recovery partition is just that. It's a part of the same drive you want to protect. If the drive fails the part does too. Obviously this is a long shot but if you want to protect your disc don't mirror it to itself.
You just have to find the (bootable) software that protects your installation disc that is comfortable and simple for your hardware, etc. If windows backup was even worth running, pc's would be sold with 2 hd's minimum. VHD's are another option but I want to run a server to fully utilize one.

Last edited:
Back