• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maui High Performance Comp. Center uses Containers now

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

habbajabba

The Maui Superpc, located in Kihei, is now available for containers that any DoD contractor can use. It's composed of Air Force Research Laboratory researchers and Department of Defense contractors, and is but one host of the Defense Dept's. five supercomputing centers. Pretty sweet as now anybody can load a container with any software or virtual hardware to utilize the cluster array of nodes for unsurpassed parallel computing. Makes one want to work in some aspect for the dod just so you can use a cluster.

I believe containers is how Qnap Nas devices operate (maybe not?). Either way, I plan on running my own 'server' using containers as well. I just need to get that tinypc so I can run linux f/t and turn my desktop over to something more useful. Containers are cool imo simply because there are almost no constraints to what can be run from within one. All while being easily backed up, moved, copied, whatever.

"early adopters are reporting significant time savings using container technology"
"in a two-week period, the team was able to complete three updates, including a security update"
http://www.mauinews.com/news/local-news/2019/03/maui-supercomputer-leads-tech-development/
I've been in the building. I think I was delivering phone books.

Back