• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Max Temp Durations - Q6600?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bman.

Registered
While I am working my overclock to find the perfect mix, I noticed that Prime95 cycles temps up and down pending load.

Idle 46/46/42/42

Under Prime95 load I can hit 70-71 to about 10 seconds before it drops down to 65 or 66 during the load cycles.

Is 71 anything to worry about during those short burst? I wouldn't think so but thought I would check.

Benjamin

Those temps seem very got to me for only 3.1GHz. I am running a Q6600 at 3.2 and idle temps are 31-32C and after 4hours in Prime95, temps are 55-57C.

What cooler are you running? What is you Vcore?

ERAU

Ah, sorry - that's not my current clock. I bought a Xigmatek S-1328 and currently at 3.5ghz (390x9).

Stress testing under OCCT mix... it will hit 71 or 72 under the max text levels.

Ah, sorry - that's not my current clock. I bought a Xigmatek S-1328 and currently at 3.5ghz (390x9).

Stress testing under OCCT mix... it will hit 71 or 72 under the max text levels.

what voltage? i'm running the same fsb and mutli.

my vcore is 1.4

my temps are 28-31C idle and 34-37C load. i've never seen it jump past 40C, i haven't run p95 for a while but i doubt things would change.

that sounds about right to me for air cooling, I wouldn't worry about it but that's me.

When I run IntelBurnTest I've hit 80 on some overclocks that have worked perfectly stable in day-to-day use, and never hit over 55ish load in any gaming or day-to-day use. I'd say at the idle temps you're seeing 71 at load is pretty good.

You guys have crazy temps :)

v1.4375 BIOS or v1.376 core under testing.

I will keep working on my voltage but there is no way that my temps are going down :)
Idle 45 / 40 as I type this message.

I just failed Prime95 at 3.6ghz so I will have to pour on more coals....hmm ... more heat....

keep in mind i'm in a 18-22C ambient room using a triple 120mm rad for my cpu only water loop.

temps of 70 would worry me, but since all the test mentioned are 100% load its not a big deal as your never going to see 100% load on all 4 cores.

70c would worry someone who is freezing down in the 18c ranges. Are you kidding me! I don't think my beer is that cold.... sip sip... nope, not even close.

Cooling: Swiftech MCR 320, MCP655-B, Dtek Fuzion V2, 6 high speed yates

How much does that whole thing cost? I see you are sitting at 3.5ghz... what do you think the hold up is... not the temps! :)

lol, its the basement so not much i can do. it only gets to 18C on the cold days of winter.
$289 i think with shipping, so 300 basically.

i've had this up to 4.2GHz but thats benching only and with a 1 ton portable ac blowing at the pc. i'm sure i could get a higher stable oc, but i don't use/game enough for it to be worth the damage it does.

my next thing to cool is the video card, which i will get another triple 120mm rad and Swiftech MCW60 for the gpu.

Well - temps are eating my lunch. Did I mention I hate stress testing :) I feel like everything is stable but a test will bail me out after (in this case 10 mins) because a CPU is too hot. That's ok, I would rather not burn up a chip, however, it seems that I would be stable under general use.

I will do some day to day testing. Is there any monitor that I can keep the temp window on the top of my screen if I am running full screen?

vCore.jpg

CPU1Temp-1.jpg

not sure which one(s) will stay on top in a full screen mode but realtemp will record the highest and lowest temps the time is stays on. so you can put it in the back ground and check how hgh i goes with everyday use.

how did you get those charts btw?

OCCT V2.0.1 produces these handy charts. They are great for showing what's going on for sure. Testing in general is always rough on me...

One passes while the other fails.. go figure. Running Orthos right now and its going strong but at a scary 70c as I type...

Blend or Mix will have temps fluctuating as the CPU load is not consistent. For pure CPU load (and better guarantee of CPU stability) use small fft.

Blend or Mix will have temps fluctuating as the CPU load is not consistent. For pure CPU load (and better guarantee of CPU stability) use small fft.

dam, no kidding. all four cores went to 44C when i did that test for 5 minutes! yikes i need more cooling :)

70c would worry someone who is freezing down in the 18c ranges. Are you kidding me! I don't think my beer is that cold.... sip sip... nope, not even close.

Your Beer isn't 65°?(18°c= 64.4°c) Your fridge either isn't working or isn't working well.:beer:

Anyway have you tried reseating your HSF? Maybe you have too much thermal compound between HSF and CPU and it's acting like an insulator. That sounds like it's pretty hot for that vcore.

Very well may be - I did a small ribbon (as shown in the Arctic Silver application diagram for dual vs quad... hey at least I got that far.. :)

Perhaps I should pull it off and reapply. That's the easy part now that my bracket is mounted on the underside.

How can I tell I have too little?

Very well may be - I did a small ribbon (as shown in the Arctic Silver application diagram for dual vs quad... hey at least I got that far.. :)

Perhaps I should pull it off and reapply. That's the easy part now that my bracket is mounted on the underside.

How can I tell I have too little?

You probably have too much.

Remove the cooler, and look at the imprint left. It should be a circle that doesn't extend past the edges of the CPU IHS. It doesn't need to completely cover it, and if it is globbed up around the edges you used way too much.

These temps don't seem bad at all.

My Q6600 at 3.6 takes 1.5v, idles at ~45-50C and load temps are as high as 80C under Prime95 if it's not a cold day.

But even 80C is still 20C from TjMax. I had my chip up to 85C for 24 hours on all 4 cores when I overclocked it to 3.2 using the stock heatsink, perfectly stable.

A few things to keep in mind:

No program or any real world load is going to heat it as high as Prime95 or another similar program.

All of the Intel thermal guidelines, etc, refer to the TCase temp and not TjMax based temps. TCase temps are measured using a thermal sensor at the center of the heatspreader and will report temps usually 10-15C lower than a TjMax based temp. So for example, if Intel recommends ~62C max TCase that could translate to as high as 72-77C using temps from the core based on TjMax.

^ My temps at 3.6 is similar.

On a scythe infinity and my ambients are on the high side (near equator) :/

Back