• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MB/CPU Combo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mark617

Running a 12700k with a 3070 ti. Any need to upgrade to something beefier than a Gigabyte B660M DS3H (don't need AX version)? Not looking to do any significant overclocking / pushing the system, but curious if something like an ASRock Z690 or MSI PRO Z690-A would justify their cost increase.

Thanks.

Yeah, I agree with ED.

The question that you have to ask yourself and perhaps provide to us is: What does my current setup *not* do that the upgrade would? Are you missing something in your current rig that the proposed upgrade addresses? It doesn't sound like it based on your post. If you want bragging rights (and I'm all in on that) then do it but if you're not pushing what you got, why upgrade?

Yeah, I agree with ED.

The question that you have to ask yourself and perhaps provide to us is: What does my current setup *not* do that the upgrade would? Are you missing something in your current rig that the proposed upgrade addresses? It doesn't sound like it based on your post. If you want bragging rights (and I'm all in on that) then do it but if you're not pushing what you got, why upgrade?

It's more what I have read elsewhere. On Reddit it was recommended to move up to the Pro version of the B660M because this model throttles power above 65W on some chips (the 12700k was one named). So, I figured, if what was being said is accurate, I need to make a change, either to a different M/B, or drop down to something like an i5 12400F instead of the 12700K.

I feel like a good middle ground is to upgrade to the PRO version of the board for better VRM heat dissipation/ build quality, and downgrade to a 12600k, as gaming would still be quite close, and I wouldn't lose out on the E-cores when I install Win 11. But even saying that, the 12400F (or non F) on the above M/B seems like it would be, for all intents and purposes, quite close, and the overall better buy for my needs. It's just a question of whether my 3070 ti provides enough that there would be noticeable real world differences in games. I doubt I could tell.

Again, though, this is just me reading stuff and trying to wrap my head around it. Everything I am saying may be wrong. Reminds me of the Star Wars scene where Luke tells Kylo everything he just said is wrong. :p

Last edited:
It's more what I have read elsewhere. On Reddit it was recommended to move up to the Pro version of the B660M because this model throttles power above 65W on some chips (the 12700k was one named). So, I figured, if what was being said is accurate, I need to make a change, either to a different M/B, or drop down to something like an i5 12400F instead of the 12700K.
There must be a way to set the PL1 power limit higher. I have an i7-12700F running on a lowly $100 Asus H610M-E D4 and I was able to set PL1 to 175W and now have no power limit throttling. I had an MSI H410 last year and PL1 was set when you selected your cooling fan type. Either Tower Cooler or AIO setting increased the power limit. Here's a run of CinebenchR23 showing PL1 set at 175W with no power or temperature throttling and max power draw of 168W during the test.

CinebenchR23.jpg

I don't know about this specific motherboard, but it's hard to believe it runs below Intel's specs. So far I had no problems going up to ~250W on every B660/Z690 motherboard that I tested. Most were higher series but there were cheaper Biostar motherboards too.

Back