• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MB, IOH, and ICH ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zinsco

Newbie question, but thanks for your help.

Am I right in thinking that the temps shown in my bios for IOH is North Bridge and ICH is South Bridge? It also has a temp for MB. What exactly is that and where physically is it located on the MB? Asus Rampage III.

Also, what range of temps do I want to be in at idle and load as I play with fan speeds to get the noise level where I want it?

CPU, GPU, Ram, NB, SB, MB, Case?

Asus Rampage III
i7 980x
2-ATI 5970's
6GB 2000 ram

You're right, IOH is NB, ICH is SB. On the 3 different models of Asus boards I've had in the last 3 years the motherboard sensor has been located between the PCI slots.

well, tj max on the 980x is 100c...i don't know it off the top of my head for the 5870, but watch component temps, other stuff doesn't matter much

This should be in the Mobo or air cooling section.

You need to worry about the CPU chip temps using something like HW monitor, not the mobo temp software, it's usually the last place they spend any money.

Coretemp, Realtemp, and HWMonitor for temps is good to use.

I7 type chips should be kept under 73C for long term life. The 100C is thermal shutdown.

Back