• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Meet the new Lamptron FC10 Vintage Style fan controller.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
I'm copying Spawne32's post (which he dutifully didn't post himself likely because it might be considered advertising) here because to me this thing looks awesome! :attn:
Spawne32 said:
Official: Meet the new Lamptron FC10 Vintage Style fan controller.

d2826e0fd760e41dbf8c64c328333899.jpg

0c22a2423a9b69a160c9dc0747c2b117.jpg

20db6d5fe580f0be1ada8eeb624cb616.jpg

Available April 10th in the following regions....

USA
France
Germany
United Kingdom
Australia
It's gorgeous. I would love to have one of these, though it seems a tad impractical being only remote-controlled and I lose that kind of thing. For someone going for a classically-themed, retro build or if you just like the classic look I can't think of anything more perfect.

What do you guys think?

Oh wow is that incredible looking... :)

I bet it looks even better in the dark. Although plenty readable, the 'nixie tube' setup is awfully busy in the light.

LOL....

I begged and pleaded with them to do a PWM controller and they told me "no time kid"... But there's time to make that monstrosity? Pfft... Just as well; I'll make my own PWM controller and never look back.

Well, to be fair there is a much smaller market of people that use PWM fans. I've literally never owned a PWM fan that wasn't attached to a stock heatsink. Looking at Sidewinder, I can't even see any 120mm PWM fans for sale. FWIW.

Thinking outside the box, is it possible to make both a 3pin and PWM fan controller?

I don't see why not... The Lamptron controllers are PWM already; they just use the PWM frequency to regulate the voltage that goes to the 3-Pin connectors instead of sending that frequency straight to a PWM fan.

I guess a handy person could replace the 3-Pin headers on there with 4-Pin units and set up some sort of jumper that, when activated, would re-route the PWM frequency straight to the 4th pin on the header and open the voltage output to send +12V straight.

This is all provided the frequency the controllers use is something compatible with teh frequency that PWM fans like and that the "mods" can be done without destroying the unit.

LOL....

I begged and pleaded with them to do a PWM controller and they told me "no time kid"... But there's time to make that monstrosity? Pfft... Just as well; I'll make my own PWM controller and never look back.

I dont think "no time kid" was the exact words I used, but it's just difficult to get them to design products based around a very limited number of suggestions for a product. Let's face it, the fan controller market is niche and flooded. Not to mention we have an entire lineup of fan controller products already.

I dont think "no time kid" was the exact words I used, but it's just difficult to get them to design products based around a very limited number of suggestions for a product. Let's face it, the fan controller market is niche and flooded. Not to mention we have an entire lineup of fan controller products already.

Hey Spawne... :D

That comment was not directed at you. I know you told me that you'd send it up the chain of command and hope that they would like the idea and I appreciate that... The comment was more about another rep at a different board that said he'd try and then he told me it was a no go... Still; it's better this way because it motivated me to make my own... I am working on it as I type this. :D

Hey Spawne... :D

That comment was not directed at you. I know you told me that you'd send it up the chain of command and hope that they would like the idea and I appreciate that... The comment was more about another rep at a different board that said he'd try and then he told me it was a no go... Still; it's better this way because it motivated me to make my own... I am working on it as I type this. :D

No problem, happen to have a link to that particular post for that other rep?

Oh my lord thats beautiful. I'm so going to have to get one of those for my next retro-project.

Damn, and I was going to go over the top advanced on the next one.... look at that a single thing changes the entire project.

No problem, happen to have a link to that particular post for that other rep?

It was on PM form over at OCN... In fact; you even replied to me over there as well and told me that the suggestion had been sent up the chain, but that once it was sent out you guys had no say over what the R&D dept would do with it.

Don't worry too much about this though; I'm more than happy to design my own circuit... It tickles my "tinkering" bone in all the right places.

It was on PM form over at OCN... In fact; you even replied to me over there as well and told me that the suggestion had been sent up the chain, but that once it was sent out you guys had no say over what the R&D dept would do with it.

Don't worry too much about this though; I'm more than happy to design my own circuit... It tickles my "tinkering" bone in all the right places.

oh ok thought maybe it was another forum i hadnt been checking lol

Back