• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Memory Overclocking Guide for Intel Ivy Bridge platform

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Bart, I need your expert guidance!

I got a new set of G.Skill TridentX 2666. I put them into the motherboard (MVE), did a cmos reset, and loaded their XMP profile (#1). It rebooted and worked flawlessly for about 2 days (with other reboots/cold boots/etc). Last night I shutdown my PC to install updates and now I'm getting error 23 (IMC). Any idea why? I just booted it up at DDR3-2400 to get some work done.

I've tried up through 1.175 on both SA/IO and VRAM up to 1.7v, I haven't touched the DDR-IMC offset voltage as I'm afraid to put too much into it.

It's hard to say why there is 23 error after some days of normal work. Voltages are ok and you can probably drop that vdimm to 1.65-1.67V.
You can change memory slots and check if it's still happening ( at least on MVG some kits are working better in 1/3 slots and some in 2/4 ) ... or just bump SA to 1.20V.
If you didn't change cooling and other things then it shouldn't happen. Also if it was working without changes then there shouldn't be any socket/pin issue.
23 error happens almost only when:
- is bad socket/cpu contact - not after 2 days
- cpu is overheating - I doubt that's the case
- socket is wet - leaking wc or some moisture while benching on sub 0 - I see it's on air so it also shouldn't happen ;)
- too low IMC voltage - in this case 1.15-1.25V will be max for most cpus

Yeah, that is the confusion I was having. I had it once before too on the MVG with my PSC sticks where either my CPU or some combination of things wouldn't run at DDR3-2200, then they worked just fine again later and then it repeated itself.

I haven't changed cooling, and the CPU is staying cool enough (upper 30s/low 40s according to realtemp at idle).

I don't do water cooling and haven't gone subzero for over a month on this board [sadly :( ]

I will try the socket thing, still confusing. The only issue with trying socket1 is the socket is completely covered by the phanteks!

Back