• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory voltage question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LMLuciano

I have a ASRock 939 Dual SATA2 motherboard. Maxium memory voltage is 2.7v when vdimm is set to high.

I'm looking at 2 choices for memory

2GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Dual Channel unbuffered rated at 2.75v

or

2GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Dual Channel unbuffered rated at 2.6v

Cost is about equal after a mail in rebate.

My question is, what, if any problems would I have if I were to use the 2.75v memory in a motherboard only rated at 2.7v? Only talking 5 hundreths of a volt here.

At this time I am not going to overclock or do any mods to this system.

I'd say you'd be fine running the ram at 2.7.

And if by chance you had some issues, you could loosen the timings a little. But I'm pretty sure you'll have no issues.

LMLuciano said:
I have a ASRock 939 Dual SATA2 motherboard. Maxium memory voltage is 2.7v when vdimm is set to high.

I'm looking at 2 choices for memory

2GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Dual Channel unbuffered rated at 2.75v

or

2GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Dual Channel unbuffered rated at 2.6v

Cost is about equal after a mail in rebate.

My question is, what, if any problems would I have if I were to use the 2.75v memory in a motherboard only rated at 2.7v? Only talking 5 hundreths of a volt here.

At this time I am not going to overclock or do any mods to this system.
Corsair is telling you that the 2.75v memory has been tested and is warranted to run at the stated timings at 2.75v.

The 2.6v memory has been tested and is warranted to perform at the stated timings at 2.6v.

Unmodded, the Asrock will deliver +/- 2.7 volts on the high setting.

The simple answer is that the purchase of the 2.6v rated memory assures you, overclocking or not, that you will be within Corsair's warranted performance requirements.

:welcome: to the forum, LMLuciano.

The 2.6v version gives you the option of overvolting the RAM, which may help your OC. If you don't change the Vdimm in the BIOS settings, it will run at 2.6v, of course, and if it isn't stable at its rated frequency, Corsair owes you a replacement.

With the 2.75v version, you'll be unvolting the RAM very slightly. It might manage its rated frequency and timings, but if it doesn't, Corsair can tell you that it's not their fault you're running their RAM in a motherboard that doesn't supply enough voltage.

Otter,

Thanks for the welcome.

And thanks to everyone for their explanations. I'll buy the 2.6v memory and play it safe.

Back