• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Micro Center - i7 860 - $199 In Store

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yep. I'm not sure how long this is on for as I literally ran across it last night after I already placed an i7 860 in my Cart @ Newegg and decided to Google for a better price before I checked out (and I certainly found a MUCH better price at Micro Center ;) ).

My MoBo and DDR3-2000 RAM will be here Friday so I can get it built and OC'd this weekend :D . My first "new gen" i5/i7 system - woot!

:cool:

I'm not quite sure, but I believe the 860 is a better performer "Clock per Clock" - but don't quote me on that. I know it uses the 1156 socket - which means cheaper MoBo and cheaper RAM than a 1366 i7 - and still has HT for 8 threads. NTM I have zero need for SLI - so 1366 is kind of overkill for my needs (but I do need two PCIe x16 slots - one for Video, one for Areca RAID Card).

:coo:

They've had this price for a while now...Bought one a few weeks ago at that price, and they had them for like a month before that... Great price for a good i7....I can't get enough of MicroCenter....My wallet on the otherhand....

I'm not quite sure, but I believe the 860 is a better performer "Clock per Clock" - but don't quote me on that. I know it uses the 1156 socket - which means cheaper MoBo and cheaper RAM than a 1366 i7 - and still has HT for 8 threads. NTM I have zero need for SLI - so 1366 is kind of overkill for my needs (but I do need two PCIe x16 slots - one for Video, one for Areca RAID Card).

:coo:

It's not better clock-for-clock in terms of IPC, realistically they are the same clock-for-clock aside from synthetics that measure memory bandwidth and the few rare programs that rely heavily on memory bandwdith like WinRar. The i7-860 has a higher max Turboboost speed (i7=930=3.06GHz i7-860=3.46GHz) which is why you'll often see it outperforming the i7-930 in various 'stock' speed tests. Then there's the platform difference of course....all in all though I'd go for the i7-860.

You already pointed out the obvious for me, wasn't realizing the socket was 1156 and not 1366 :p

Back