• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Micron, anyone?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
The budget hunters for BH5 or BT-D43 don't always have to pay top dollar for modules based on these excellent chips. Now, what appears to be better than both are 5ns Micron chips found in OCZ 3500 and 3700 EB. So, who's gonna be the first to play the lotto with these? :

Buffalo PC3200 Module with 5ns Micron

Crucial PC3200
Probably have 5ns Micron, and if you look through the reviews, it looks like 240+ is quite common.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1061127110735&skuId=5959082&type=productCrucial PC3200[/url], look closely at the PCB and it seems to match the IC's found on the 3700 EB. Pricey from BestBuy, but returns and exchanges are easier from a brick-and-mortar. Rebates may also come in handy

Buffalo PC3700 with Micron 4.3ns
I'd question this one, because it may like loose latencies and high speed, probably similar to Hynix. Or, on the other hand, could be the cream of the crop from the same IC's as the Micron 5ns.

Dunno about you guys, but I've got a good feeling about these modules myself.

Question:

I bought the stick in my sig at least 6 months ago. The Crucial pc2700 I was using is Micron. My Crucial pc3200 is Samsung.

This something new?

Hmmm...
Are you sure that they're using stock ICs? not modded Microns in any way?

That would surprise me, but hey I'm ready for it.

Suma.

They are modded, but Shade00 and some others have gotten some great stuff out of run-of-the-mill Micron. I just might have to try some myself. ;)

Sounds tempting.
Can we verify what chips are used for the 3700 EB module by OCZ?
I mean, which cheap excatly.

Suma.

the OCZ 3500 and 3700EB both use the same micron chips...any way that would be great if you could now get these chips in the form of crucial....but if they are such high end chips then why are they in crucil models.....any way if they are the same chips that would b great.

Hmm, I'm still wondering what chips are used in the in the OCZ PC3700EB, we know it's Micron, but makes lotsa of chips. It might be the 4.3ns you attached or it might be faster. Can some1 with a OCZ EB who took off the HS attach a picture?

Suma.

I've found from past experience that Crucial doesn't always use Micron chips on their RAM. I've had two sticks with the same part numbers with two different memory chips on them. Most of the time it is micron but I've also seen samsung, and Infineon on sticks of Crucial PC2700.

Last edited:
Suma said:
Hmm, I'm still wondering what chips are used in the in the OCZ PC3700EB, we know it's Micron, but makes lotsa of chips. It might be the 4.3ns you attached or it might be faster. Can some1 with a OCZ EB who took off the HS attach a picture?

Suma.

Micron sticks by JEDEC standards, and there is no JEDEC standard for a DDR-SDRAM faster then 5ns (DDR-400).

There is no magic number in the speed codes found on Micron chips that will lead you to finding cheap PC-2700 that will give you instant and consistant OCZ PC-3700 'EB' performance.

Speed_Mechanic2 said:
These chips, which OCZ is using and which Buffalo has also been using for some time now, are die revision "C" 5ns chips from Micron - DDR-SDRAM product number MT46V32M8TG-5B.

http://www.micron.com/products/dram/ddrsdram/part.aspx?part=MT46V32M8TG-5B

For those who want to translate Micron's part numbering system, check Micron's DDR-SDRAM Guide - http://download.micron.com/pdf/numbering/numdram.pdf

These are standard 5ns chips showing increasing yield rates. Following JEDEC standards, these chips are rated at 5ns (200MHz - DDR-400/PC-3200) with 3-3-3 timings (tCL-tRCD-tRP) with 2.6V.

KingMax's 'Hardcore' and other TinyBGA memory also have been using Micron wafers that have been prepared by KingPAK, and their TSOP chips found in their PC-3200/PC-3500/PC-3700 are also, most probable, from Micron.

Obviously you will be playing against the odds if you purchase Buffalo PC-3200 w/ Micron chips and expect it to give the same performance found in OCZ's PC-3700 'EB'-series.

flapper,

So did you find these in the 2 x 256 dc pack?

Question - in this case, would it make sense to be looking for chips with the most current mfg. date, such as the 0402 in the linked picture. I'm phyched, its off to BB tomorrow to hunt me some Micron chippies

i had a ddr466 buffalo 512mb stick w/micron chips that would not run at all above 206fsb at any vdimm....

Back