• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft takes .NET open source and cross-platform......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

'Cuda340

Very Welcoming Senior, Premium Member #11
Seen this over at dailytech.com

Microsoft takes .NET open source and cross-platform, adds new development capabilities with Visual Studio 2015, .NET 2015 and Visual Studio Online

Posted November 12, 2014 By Microsoft News Center

NEW YORK — Nov. 12, 2014 — On Wednesday, Microsoft Corp. reinforced its commitment to cross-platform developer experiences by open sourcing the full server-side .NET stack and expanding .NET to run on the Linux and Mac OS platforms. Microsoft also released Visual Studio Community 2013, a new free edition of Visual Studio that provides easy access to the Visual Studio core toolset. The announcements kicked off Microsoft’s Connect (); event, where the company released Visual Studio 2015 Preview and .NET 2015 Preview.

“With billions of devices in the market today, developers need tools that target many different form factors and platforms,” said S. Somasegar, corporate vice president, Developer Division, Microsoft. “Through Visual Studio and .NET we are committed to delivering a comprehensive end-to-end solution for developers to build and manage applications across multiple devices and platforms.”

Press Release

This is exciting, but I'm not counting on cross platform support to be a quick and easy task. I've got a couple web applications that I would love to move off of Windows, but I don't see that happening for a long time.

Good for Microsoft, though!

Interesting, isn't it?

I wonder if they're trying to get .net everywhere. Could they be targeting java? I read elsewhere that java and .net perform similar roles, and it would make sense for Microsoft to take on java. Somebody else floated the idea, but I'm borrowing it :)

Interesting, isn't it?

I wonder if they're trying to get .net everywhere. Could they be targeting java? I read elsewhere that java and .net perform similar roles, and it would make sense for Microsoft to take on java. Somebody else floated the idea, but I'm borrowing it :)

Absolutely. Java's portability makes it one of (if not the) most widely used development methods across billions of devices (just ask the splash screen when you run it!). .NET is exceptionally powerful, but limited to specific platforms. If MS can break that barrier, .NET could be leveraged for rapid mobile device development, which I think is probably what they're after.

WAIT. OH WOW. What if Microsoft leads off....

by recoding minecraft in .net? That would be a huge huge push! Suddenly all the mod makers would be learning .net instead of java, paving the way for a future... without java.

Think about it. It could be beautiful.

I'd love to see it be officially cross-platform (i.e. not Mono). Heck, IKVM already performs way better than Oracle's JVM for several applications. I wonder what would happen to Qt, then, though.

WAIT. OH WOW. What if Microsoft leads off....

by recoding minecraft in .net? That would be a huge huge push! Suddenly all the mod makers would be learning .net instead of java, paving the way for a future... without java.

Think about it. It could be beautiful.

Man, just when I re-learned how to install mods for MC 1.7.10 I'd have to learn how to install the .net mods :p
But hey, if that happens it'd be nice, no more Java memory hogging/leaking crap

Wouldn't it be funny if Microsoft reclaimed their old glory days of being an integrated software environment top to bottom for both corporate and desktop users? Except .net could be put even on OSX, conceivably...

Pharaoh, it's kinda funny. Right before the news came out (that Microsoft was buying minecraft), I'd finally resigned myself to learning java. Now I'm back in the same place emotionally, waiting, waiting, to see what happens. URGH.
And 1.8 is hideously slow. Kill the underlying code with fire!!

Wouldn't it be funny if Microsoft reclaimed their old glory days of being an integrated software environment top to bottom for both corporate and desktop users? Except .net could be put even on OSX, conceivably...

Pharaoh, it's kinda funny. Right before the news came out (that Microsoft was buying minecraft), I'd finally resigned myself to learning java. Now I'm back in the same place emotionally, waiting, waiting, to see what happens. URGH.
And 1.8 is hideously slow. Kill the underlying code with fire!!

lol I was stubborn - I was running 1.5.2 for 2 years. Only last month did I finally update me and my brother :p

Heh, me and my family+friends are still stuck with 1.6 because we don't like the food consumption increase. We're still using it today!! The super hostile maps are brutally punishing with the 1.7 and 1.8 changes.

Heh, me and my family+friends are still stuck with 1.6 because we don't like the food consumption increase. We're still using it today!! The super hostile maps are brutally punishing with the 1.7 and 1.8 changes.

Farmcraftory and foodcraftory can fix that kinda. You'll be able to change how much food "heals"
Speaking of Minceraft, .net would allow some powerful mods wouldn't it?

would be able to do more than java?
I dunno, maybe allow other players to join in your single player game or something.
Or atleast let most mods interact with eachother?

Of course, we don't even know if Minceraft will ever be re-coded in .net anyway :p

Speaking of Minceraft, .net would allow some powerful mods wouldn't it?

would be able to do more than java?
I dunno, maybe allow other players to join in your single player game or something.
Or atleast let most mods interact with eachother?

Changing programming languages does not automatically add new features any more than switching to a different brand of canned baked beans gives you superpowers.

Back