• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mid Range Mobo Recommendations for I5 6600K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mot666

Registered
The dream is a VR rig... so Im upgrading from an FX 6300 and I need a new mb and ram to suit. Video card is already sorted (Nitro 8GB RX480). I would like to spend approx. $300 Australian on the motherboard. I was looking at reviews on Newegg for the GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-UD3 but the reviews were mixed and there were numerous issues reported. I find it frustrating reading reviews online(so many contradictions and factors) so some advice from a reputable and experienced source would be welcome. Although I'm no noob when it comes to computers, any words of wisdom on the upgrade would be welcome. Cheers.

I only use Gigabyte motherboards they easy to overclock. I think you would like GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 5.

Really any motherboard you choose at $150+ will be perfectly fine for your uses. Just make sure it has the features you need, look you want, and price.

Asrock is great, gigabyte is great, msi is great, Asus is great. Really, though there are dozens and dozens of boards, it doesn't matter much between them for ambient overclocking from that price point on up. You don't get more USEFULL features for the average enthusiast on a $400 board versus $175.

I only use Gigabyte motherboards they easy to overclock. I think you would like GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 5.

I'll second this, I just upgraded my system around this board with a 6700K, RX 480 Nitro+ and 16GB of Corsair ram and 2 M.2 Crucial MX300's in raid 0 and it's been great. the only minor issue which I'm sure AMD will squash quickly is the fact that wattman is not stable just yet. I also moved my Evo 850 with windows 10 from an AMD FX8350 based system to the Intel system before imaging it to the raid 0 array, other than clearing out old hidden devices from the device manager it's been trouble free.

Back