• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Minecraft server.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

After som trail and error, i have decided i am goibg to build a minecraft server, that can handle the game.

Currently we are running it on a first gen i5, but im not happy with performance.

I will be picking up an Intel Xeon e5620 for the purpose, any 1366 motherboard, and im thinking about 12gb ram.

My question is now, psu and cooling, i plan on running it on an ssd, or maybe i will be forced to use an hdd.

The cpu is 80w, i want to get a tiny psu, as small as possible, since i want to save room.

Can this cpu run a fanless setup? Or what would you guys recormend? Much be silent.

Gpu, will be pretty much anything i can get my hands on, since it wont even be running with a monitor hooked up.

Advice?

An i5 couldn't handle it...which one? And what was its problem in handling it (CPU spikes/at 1005?)? I wonder if that Atom you were going to use just peter'd out before you started it or what?! :p

Why not buy a CPU with on board video since its not doing anything but putting a picture up occasionally. If you want quiet, use less power... less PSU needed, less cooling needed, less noise.

Once we figure out your hardware for sure, then we can size a PSU for it.

Last edited:
You want the best single threaded performance, you won't get that with a 1366 based system...
Get a G3258 and a cheap board, overclock it.

You want the best single threaded performance, you won't get that with a 1366 based system...
Get a G3258 and a cheap board, overclock it.

Please go deeper? I havnt bought anything yet sincxe 1366 motherboards are impossible to find used.

And please consider that i want tthis to be low heat, low noise, so overclocking is 100% out the question. If i can passive cool it, thats perfect.

I been reading around and people are talking about Xeon E3's being good for the purpose.

Last edited:
Please go deeper? I havnt bought anything yet sincxe 1366 motherboards are impossible to find used.

What more needs to be said?
You want the best single threaded performance possible for a Minecraft server...

Do you need 2x8GB? Your friends that run MC servers... how much ram are they using? You may be able to use 2x4GB or even 2x2GB.

Pico PSU = size (nothing different from a regular PSU for all intents and purposes). If you can find one that will support the wattage you need with the connections required, it will work (will need adapters if it doesn't come with it (for 24 pin and 4/8 pin CPU).

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...-DC-ATX-Power-Supply-PICO-DC/32235870176.html

For $50 though... why not a regular size PSU in a small cube case? You being so particular with how things look, I am surprised a pico is even being thought of.

Last edited:
Yup, you are right. I have started my search for G3258, itx board and 2x 8gb sticks.

Would this run off a Pico PSU?

Why 16GB?
My server runs 3x Minecraft, 1x TF2, 1x Starbound, and 1x TS3 servers all while serving as a NAS, and it has 16GB. It has RAM to spare.

Do you need 2x8GB? Your friends that run MC servers... how much ram are they using? You may be able to use 2x4GB or even 2x2GB.

Pico PSU = size (nothing different from a regular PSU for all intents and purposes). If you can find one that will support the wattage you need with the connections required, it will work (will need adapters if it doesn't come with it (for 24 pin and 4/8 pin CPU).

This.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...-DC-ATX-Power-Supply-PICO-DC/32235870176.html

For $50 though... why not a regular size PSU in a small cube case? You being so particular with how things look, I am surprised a pico is even being thought of.

Ram, Cos its cheap. The current server turns out its an i3 with 4gb ram, and it has issues, when we are 2 users, there is often set backs and texture loading slowness.

I may go with 8gb to start with and see how it goes.

Reason for Pico PSU, its size, purely size. I have a mod idea in place for this system, no case, and regular PSU just inst possible. I can find Pico used for almost no money.

Why 16GB?
My server runs 3x Minecraft, 1x TF2, 1x Starbound, and 1x TS3 servers all while serving as a NAS, and it has 16GB. It has RAM to spare.

Its all about the cost, used 8gb sticks are dirt cheap, so why not. I understand its overkill, but if its cheap i rather have overkill.

Oh, use an SSD for the server to run from. You don't want this on a platter.

Last night we were playing 3 people on the server, which i know now a bit more about, but still not all.

Its Intel i3, 4gb ddr3 ram 1tb HDD.

Running windows server 2012 R2. We managed to crash it by being 3 people on it. It could be internet connection issue, but the Java server client did crash.

It seems damn near impossible to pick up a used ITX board, and i will only accept ITX board for this system.

So i been looking into AMD, but knowing near nothing about AMD (Last amd i had was XP1600) I dont know which CPU would be the best option and i have no idea about sockets, but i do know AMD ITX boards are a lot less than Intel.

So, is there an AMD cpu that matches, or maybe even does better than the G3250/G3258 from Intel?

Alright, I seem to be stuck with having to buy an H81 ITX board then, and also new CPU, since no one has them for sale used.

put an SSD in the current i3 machine and i bet it will run alot better.

Not sure why you're stuck to H81...

Price, anything above H81 with 1150 scoket is double price.

i been looking at at 1151 now, and for the small price increase i may aswell just go that direction and use the G4400 CPU, on ITX with DDR3.

put an SSD in the current i3 machine and i bet it will run alot better.

Yeah, but its not my rig, so i honeslty dont feel like putting money into it. The owner wants to upgrade, but wants a much more powerful server since hes a programmer and builds websites and others.

I don't know if there are any s1151 ITX boards that support DDR3L... I think they are all DDR4 at the moment. That shouldnt matter too much anyway because there is a very small price difference between DDR3(say 2133) and DDR4 (say 2800)... the sweetspot speeds.

Yeah, but its not my rig, so i honeslty dont feel like putting money into it.
The point was to share that information with your friend, not for you to buy it for him.

I don't know if there are any s1151 ITX boards that support DDR3L... I think they are all DDR4 at the moment. That shouldnt matter too much anyway because there is a very small price difference between DDR3(say 2133) and DDR4 (say 2800)... the sweetspot speeds.

The point was to share that information with your friend, not for you to buy it for him.

There are. Its not Z chipset, but they are out there.
ASUS H110I-PLUS D3 for one.

He already knows he needs an SSD, but no point in upgradin his I3 if hes building a full new system. But thats a whol different ball park.

Back